AWK 509K Red TR6 1972 Would like to know what's happened to it?

I sold AWK 509K in 1976 for £995 to fund the deposit on my first house. I told myself at the time I would buy another TR6 as soon as I had the money, well 20 years later I did buy another TR6 but would really like to know the whereabouts of my old car and if it was for sale? Its still registered with the DVLA but not on the road.

Hi Derek, losing the plot, must be an age thing, I've just checked the only picture I have of the car and the number is AWK 409K.

• 2 weeks later...

There were 46 x PI TR6 registered with AWK registration numbers according to the Coventry Museum police registration records of which 16 have appeared over the years in the TR Register.

Cheers

Derek

• 2 weeks later...

Hi John

I did see your TR6 at Stoneleigh a few years ago at a Triumph Spares and Show day and as having been looking out for my old car for years at first glance I thought I had found it, especially as it was the same colour. I did hang around hoping you would come back to your car so we could have a chat but you didn't show before my mates wanted to go home and I was driving. Not sure how long ago it was but I am sure I wanted to talk to you about your surrey top which in my opinion looked fantastic, all in black if I remember. I would be interested to know if its an original or the fibre glass version, where you sourced it and how difficult it was to fit?

For anyone reading this topic I did make contact with the current owner of my first TR6 and we had a very long and interesting chat bringing me completely up to date from when I sold the car to its condition today. When I searched for the car on the DVLA system it was on a SORN so I was hoping it was lanquishing in a garage somewhere just waiting for me to buy it at a reasonable price and gradually restore it. Sa,dly for me anyway this was not the case as the current owner has spent a large sum of money restoring it and it was only off the road awaiting an engine rebuilt to be completed. He did say it was possibly for sale when the work was completed but the price was way above my expectations, well wallet anyway. I did suggest if he did sell it then the Register was a good place to start advertising it, so we may see it on here in the future and I could still be tempted who knows!

Hi Chris,

This is the second surrey i have fitted to this car. The first was after the rebuild in 1993 which was on for about 5 years, it was handy for a carry cot and then a small child. After that i had made a special hood with more head room in the rear

which allowed for a bigger child, and sold the surrey(big mistake). Eventually junior got too big! So i sold the modified hood and bought another surrey off Ebay, 5 times the price and half as good.

To answer your questions, it is an original frame and glass with a modified soft top using a hood frame header rail to give a more secure fit. They are easy to fit but require a bit of jiggling (is that a word?) around and patience to get it looking

right. I used the same paint as the rear panel which is a satin black although it can go shiny if you polish too much.

Regards

John