Mystery Wood Bits

These two pieces of wood are jammed really tight in the scuttle vent. I've no idea why they are there but I am reluctant to remove them in case the front end falls off!! There is a fairly loud buzz/rattle from this area when driving so maybe it's an attempt to stop it. If so it ain't worked. The buzz/rattle occurs with the flap open or closed. Anyone any idea what the wood maybe for and what could be the cause of the buzz/rattle?post-11345-0-08607600-1355849439_thumb.jpg

Alan.

post-11345-0-08607600-1355849439_thumb.jpg

Hi AlanG,

the front end of the 4/4A can shake, rattle & roll quite nicely.

The bonnet stay can give off quite a racket as can the bonnet itself - make sure the rubbery bits are in place.

The vent lid and spring can vibrate if not located securely.

Get in there and do some analysis - don;t miss Christmas though.

Roger

It is called age Roger and not cricket to point out :(

No comprende.

Edited by SuzanneH

There are a few things I can see now I have studied your photo.

One is that you may have a hole through the plenum base. This will be letting water into the cockpit. Maybe not much. But enough for the damp carpet problem. All this area was essentially missing from mine when it came an I had to remake it all.

The wood is holding the flap spring I think. Probably because the noise has been wrongly diagnosed. Take out the wood AND the spring to check.

Its odd that this wood is bending down the baffle plate on the right-hand side. Now mine is bent down on this corner too. So this wood mod may have been a common trick at some time! Possibly the spring tension gets lost leaving the flap jumping up. A new spring is a pretty tight fit with the flap in place.

The second piece of wood seems to be squashing the wiper jet pipe. Again I expect this got blamed for something of which it is not guilty.

I would think you may have quite a bit of rust in this plenum and maybe you should check the seems with the dashbord out. You may be able to save a lot of trouble later on by sealing the seams. I blocked the hose outlets and filled it with paint. Well maybe not quite filled it. But lots. And left it a bit and then drained out the surplus.

Al.

I cant see any holes in the plenum Al, it looks more like the spring has jumped out of the two clips at the front and the bits of wood have been jammed in there to hold it down. Agreed the washer tubing has come off on one side but the rest looks in pretty good nick.

Stuart.

Hi Al,

the clips are part of the structure/welded on and the spring just sits under them due to the mechanical lock.

AlanG - I think I have sus'd it - the TR thinks it's a Stanley Steam car and has had a good stoking. Did anybody see them at Prescott in October - stunning.

Roger

Edited by RogerH

Hi AlanG,

the front end of the 4/4A can shake, rattle & roll quite nicely.

The bonnet stay can give off quite a racket as can the bonnet itself - make sure the rubbery bits are in place.

Roger

............also the original horns can vibrate on the stay bars holding the front panel in place ! Took me an age to track down :angry:

They do love a rattle.........

Yes they are spot welded in. I have replaced them before now on a built car by riveting them in with the flap removed.

Stuart.

Just removed the wood bits and amazingly the front end of the car hasn't dropped off! There is no rust or holes and the spring and clips are fine. I've just refitted the flap to check its operation and it appears to be working as it should with the spring in tension when open or closed. I will be removing the dash and windscreen frame shortly so will check down below then and report back.

Many thanks for the suggestions.

Alan.