Interior trim renewal

The vinyl facing of the interior trim is in reasonable condition but the backing mill board has warped. So I thought I would remove the vinyl facing and glue it to new mill board. Is this feasable and can anyone who has done this offer any advice.

Thanks, Alan.

This is easy. Use a small screwdriver to pull out the staples and it will all come apart.

Use hardboard and just copy the old ones. You may want to fit new wadding.

You may want to waterproof the hardboard with clear spray lacquer.

A staple-tacker and some short staples are the professional way to put it back. This is quick.

I used the "high-temperature" upholstery adhesive and glued mine. This is slow.

You only glue the flap thats turned over on the back NOT the whole area.

You need to get a little tension into the material but not too much. All trim work is like this.

If you need to make any holes, for handles perhaps, after you have trimmed the panel DO NOT DRILL THEM. The drill will catch in the wadding and wind it up in a knot. You have to pierce them with a point and perhaps star out the vinyl and get rid of the wadding.

Best to organise all this without any wadding in place.

Al.

Edited by AlanT

You may like to make the hardboard a fraction on the small side or at least check the fit in the door frame carefully.

There is a tendency for these doors to need slamming. Partly this is because the door-cards can sit a bit high and hit the rubber seal.

Where the door pocket comes through on the back things get a bit "thick". Again this can make the door hard to close depending on what kind of seal you have. You can trim a bit of this away.

If you are gluing then you can mitre the corners a bit better than originally, again this improves the fit.

I used some staples too. But only about half as many as the factory.

Al.

The door seals will contribute more to the door slamming problem than the door cards themselves. Especially when using the one piece seal on a 4/4a where it is fitted to the triangle stiffener at the bottom of the "B" post.

Stuart.