How to remove the chrome body mouldings?

Just removing all the bits and pieces before repainting. Not sure how to remove the wing and door chome mouldings without damage. Are they prised off or do they slide of their fixing clips? Or maybe some other way?

Alan.

Alan

I only know of one way and that isn't pretty.New ...the wing moldings come with metal "tangs" that slide freely in the groove on the underside of the chrome.

Once installed between bodywork and wing, the tangs are bent or twisted at regular intervals to retain them in position.

Fast forward 20/ 30 /40 years of battering by mud, rain, general filth and rust. They aren't going to let go without struggle.

Slacken off all the wing bolt fixings but don't remove them.Mask up either side of the chrome strips, generously, if you don't want gouges in the bodywork.

If it's a " back to bare metal " respray then you may not want to bother.From the underside bend back the tangs, to as near vertical, as you can get and then remove.If you are very, very , very lucky you may be able to re-use.If you are this lucky ..but a lottery ticket.Most people order a new set of strips.

If yours is a 4A then another owner may have input on the door strips for you

Bob

There is an awful lot I can tell you about this. But to save wasting time please tell us where you are going from here.

I presume you are doing a paint job. But is this back to bare-metal of a quick fix?

Have you got panel repairs to do?

Are you removing the window glass?

Are you taking the wings off?

I re-used all my strips because I like doing this and the repro ones wont be quite as good, probably.

You do it differently if you want to reuse them.

If you are taking these off you need to plan how you are going to get them back.

This stuff is so visible you have to get it right or its looks bad.

Al.

Thanks people.

I'm hoping for a "quick fix" rather than a back to metal respray but will complete one panel first to see how it turns out. I'm not a concours type of person just want a presentable TR4A for lots of summer use. Car is very sound with virtually no rust. Just looks a bit tired, paint and trim wise.

Alan.

The door chrome strips originally have riveted clips and at the rear end a stud and barrel clip that must be removed from inside the door shell.

Stuart.