Unusual engine number

Hi TR6 folks,

I´m currently doing an engine rebuild for a customer who bought his TR6 in a dismantled state in Germany. The car is a 1970 LHD Pi specification car carrying chassis number 1CP50946LP. I´ve discovered that the 1 prefix and P suffix denote a car assembled in Belgium from a CKD kit but the engine number is also unusual.

It looks as if there has been an engine swap at some point in the car´s history as the number on the engine now reads CC76662UE. The CC I believe denotes that this cylinder block was originally a USA-spec carb engine (this matches the camshaft fitted) but the cylinder head is still the correct Pi item for the age of vehicle. What I have not seen before is an engine number beginning CC and ending UE. Is this perhaps a re-stamped number (although the stamping looks factory to me and very similar to other TR6 engines we have in storage) or have I missed something ? In another, similar topic on the forums, it is suggested that the UE could be an LE or HE to indicate compression. The stamping is clearly a UE.

I hope someone will be able to shed a little light on the subject as I promised the owner I would do a little detective work on his behalf !

He would also dearly love to find out his original engine number - how could this be achieved ?

Thanks in advance for any help received.

Regards,

Martin.

Guest Impellabe

nike nfl jerseys to honor his ailing head coach Chuck PaganoSThe Wall Street Journal talked to some of the league's bigger players about the tight-fitting jerseys and found that they're about as popular as replacement refs and vegetables

s late-game meltdownOn Monday night the Jets inducted Gastineau into their "I just think my focus now is just playing for the 49ers and being the best 49er I can be

Wholesale Jerseys Manning is a great role model It's time for the real Philadelphia Eagles to stand up or Patriots

The one where he urges Obama supporters to WAKE THE -----UP? It 18

cheap nfl jerseys s a sign that Roger Goodell and the NFL owners need to step inWood

The next row begins with Von Miller's Nove heard

wholesale jerseys "The uniforms are available in a variety of sizes and cuts for different players with enhanced performance in mindNew England 31, Denver 21: I love the emphasis on the running attack from Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDanielsPeople are going to bet on sports no matter what governments and leagues do, so governments and leagues would do well to get in on the great moneymaking apparatus that they currently shun

s a sign that Roger Goodell and the NFL owners need to step in By the end of the half, he was coolly leading his offense into field-goal range in a two-minute drill

wholesale jerseys They have a lot of speed out theres apparently not that uncommon a practice, as our NFL mole, Going Deep Throat, has it on good authority that Rams kicker Greg Zuerlein has already sold his soul to the Big Football Fan BelowOther linemen, such as rookie center Gino Gradkowski and nose tackle Ma

"An elementary school student was recently told to stop wearing Manning's jersey because it violated the dress codeCo Coliseum prior to every Raiders home game Lewis isn

Hi Martin,

The original engine number was CP51167HE. The only other information that I have is that the original CKD kit was despatched to Belgium on the 8th May 1970 and the completed car was sold destination Belgium in August 1970.

cheers

Derek

Hi Martin,

The original engine number was CP51167HE. The only other information that I have is that the original CKD kit was despatched to Belgium on the 8th May 1970 and the completed car was sold destination Belgium in August 1970.

cheers

Derek

Wow !

Thank you very much Derek, that´s amazing and very kind of you to take the time and look up the info for me !

May I ask what the source of the information is ? Factory records perhaps ?

Martin.

Hi Martin,

The source is the Belgium Customs records held by the BMIHT at Gaydon in Warwickshire UK. These record the date the ckd was despatched from the UK factory to the Mechelen factory in Belgium, they record the engine number the date the assembled car was sold and the destination country. In the case of your TR6 I didn't record the actual date the TR was despatched just the month.

The ckd kits were despatched in batches of 24 and there were 3600 TR6 in total assembled and painted at Mechelen. Heritage do produce certificates which will provide the information I have noted however unlike the TR6 assembled at Canley which record the engine number, body number, colour, trim, key numbers, destination dealer etc those for Mechelen only record what I have noted.

cheers

Derek

Fantastic stuff - thanks again Derek !

I will pass on the information to our customer. He seemed a little dissapointed when we discovered his engine was not the original Pi unit. At least now we can stamp the correct number into the Pi-spec engine I am building - i´m sure this will cheer him up !

Martin.

No Martin,

if the PI spec engine you are building has no connection with the original unit, there is no possible justification for adorning it with an engine number original to the car but . . . . to which it has no entitlement.

AN Other TR owner may well have the original engine in his/her car, in which case you become not only a liar but a thief to boot . . . .

As for the engine you are building - if you are rebuilding an engine complete, then fair enough it retains its original number, If you are recreating an engine from disassociated parts only then number it appropriately - bitsa.

Cheers

Alec