Tr3a Seat cover Fitting Tips

Neil,

I must admit i exagerated a little :) Its more like a groan everytime i move

Alan

Yes thanks for the link, i was aware that Trf springs were the best, they have one in stock at the moment and are

having some made, 1-2 weeks and there should be back in stock. I am giving it some thought, however shipping to me

isnt the chapest exercise

Cheers

Guy

I am starting to dislike these seats intensely never had so much grief with anything else on the car.

Edited by Jersey Royal

Mine were restored by Jim Hawkins back in the 80s and are very comfortable. They will almost certainly stop squeaking after a few (hundred?) miles.

However, if you are used to comfy TR6 or non-TR seats, then you may not agree, but seats are just another part of the sidescreen period experience and worth at least a fair TRial.

Mine were restored by Jim Hawkins back in the 80s and are very comfortable. They will almost certainly stop squeaking after a few (hundred?) miles.

However, if you are used to comfy TR6 or non-TR seats, then you may not agree, but seats are just another part of the sidescreen period experience and worth at least a fair TRial.

Brian,

You have a point about stopping squeaking, the good base , well i thought it was good is shown below,

has only a film of rust on the springs.

DSC_0679.jpg

Interestingly all the coils are wired to their neighbour.

Whether these seats will get a fair trial i dont know as yet, am trying to source a good second hand spring base,

from Rtr, so that may help

Cheers

Guy

edit, Planning on removing from cover and spraying with WD40, idea being to protect the coils and may even stop

the groaning noise of springs flexing

Edited by Jersey Royal

Guy,

Don't worry about it, TuRK's passenger seat squeaks - but only when the LHC sits on it and it seems to get louder the faster I go............. :D

Why not try fitting foam between the coils; this may help - worth a try?

Cheers

Andrew

:lol::lol::lol:

Hows the knee, hope your resting it, no squeaky springs for you then :P

cheers

Guy

Chaps

They havent gone in the skip yet, i am now of the opinion that the top edge of these seats needs alot

of faffin around to get it looking right.

But i could do with a good photo side on view of the top edge, basicaly how the pipeing sits.

Anyone brave enough to post a photo

Thanks

GUY

Give a few minutes and I'll go and take a few of TuRK's - these are still the originals having never been resprung or recovered, back in a mo.......................

Well, that was a little longer than 'mo', as I've been having trouble uploading onto FB, so have resized them for here - let me know if you want the 'full fat' versions emailed:

At last, FB likes me!

381572_4204503466061_1893642321_n.jpg

Hope these help?

Cheers

Andrew

Edited by Andrew Smith

Andrew

Only the messenger here, from Guy can you post pics of the back rests please

Thanks Neil,

As explanation i had to pop out to pick youngest up from Horse riding lesson.

2012-12-01120926.jpg

And couldnt log in with my mobile

Andrew

What i would like is a photo of the top of your backrest, please

Thank You

Guy

Edited by Jersey Royal

Andrew

Only the messenger here, from Guy can you post pics of the back rests please

Well that exercised my knee, hope these are what you're after Guy: http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.4204677990424.2144035.1089104818&type=1&l=d6f1f70d58

Edit: have just sent a few high(ish) res ones by email.

Cheers

Andre

Edited by Andrew Smith

Great Thankyou Andrew,

My covers will never look like that the rear most bead is too high,

2012-11-30104333.jpg

ah well, reckon am going to have to take to a trimmer to sort out

armed with your photos

Thanks

Guy

Edited by Jersey Royal

Heres food for thought

Anyone know the answer.

As seat bases are diffferent between 3 and 3a, the finished backrest on both models are different .

So are the back rests to both models the same ? If so the paddiing has to be be different..

Have i got tr3 backrests??

Cheers

Guy

Edit photo of car as was with old seats

DSC00399-1.jpg

Edited by Jersey Royal

AFAIK ,the backrests are the same,but the spring bases are different,just e-mailed photo's of mine, cheers Paul.

Thanks Paul

Compared my old cover to new one, the new one is fatter ie width between the pipeing,

original is 47 mm new is 55mm

Heres Pauls photos, foor future reference, your base springs look like the newer version, how do you find them?

IMG_0324.jpg

IMG_0326.jpg

IMG_0328.jpg

IMG_0331.jpg

Thank You

Cheers

Guy

Edited by Jersey Royal

the foam does take a bit of drying though, cheers Paul.

Nice one Paul.

As you will know only to well. It only rains when you go out in your motor desnt it.

You must of been doing a bit of driving recently judging by the amoubt of rainfall reported inthe

Uk recently :lol::lol:

Cheers

Guy

Update

Had an email from the supplier of my seats with details of where foam should be and wadding.So

am hopeing on sorting it soon.

And have decided to go for the uk supplied seat springs and insert foam as Paul has done. I have been for a drive

in Pauls motor on IOW, and didnt find them either uncomfortable or bouncy. So if its good enough for Paul (Uvc) its good enough

pour moi. :)

Cheers

GUY

Edited by Jersey Royal

Hi All,

Thought i had the backrest sorted, but when i put the seat in place the whole thing looked big

fat and clumsy, the backrest was comfy but stuffed to much, more titivating needed.

The Seat base cover isnt too much of a problem, i either go with the uk springs or foam.

I have a trimmer looking into the foam idea for me, may have a go at both and see which i prefer.

Anyway i have the cover to my good original spring base and have a question .

If i measure from the front beading verticaly down it measures 205mm and rear seam on the side 170mm,

wondering if i should apply tension to the springs when i pull the cover down to secure, that way making the seat less fat.

What do your seats measure?

DSC_0693.jpg

DSC_0694.jpg

Thanking You.

Cheers

Guy

Edited by Jersey Royal

Chaps

Am having a sh*t day, everything going pearshaped in general. :mellow:

Am on the verge of throwing these seats in the skip, i really detest them today .............. :(

Have turned my attention to the seat runners, the DPO had no idea what he was doing i have holes all over the place

where the seat runners attach to the floor pan, i recall one of them was the wrong way round and wasnt even attaching the seat. <_<

When i stripped them out i did not number them,if i had i would at least know where they had been fitted.

So heres a question should the peg that you can move to adjust the seat forward be positioned next to the door in both cases?

And another the original steering wheel sits about four or five inches above the seat???, so when i am in the seat the steering wheel virtualy touches my legs, doesnt seem right. Looks like thats heading for the skip too.

I had planned on tack welding the bolt to the lower runer plate, to make it easy to instal and unbolt from underneath <_<

Tar Muchly

Guy

(Going into melt down)

Think i should find a more relaxing hobby...... Stamp collecting sounds good .

Edited by Jersey Royal