I went with the TR + hardtop to my local paint shop. I asked for a touch up job on the hardtop. Thinking I could then at the same time get the interior done up. This job has been on the shelf for abou 8 years. The paint shop said I should really remove the windows. To which I said I don't know. If anything goes wrong where do I get any repacement parts? So across the road is the man that does the hood and things like that. He looked at the inside which has been stuck up with a thick carpet and said immediately the windows must come out. Furthermore he said he would not take out all the stuck in carpet, that's my problem. So now 2 hours later with car back in the garage I think I have a problem.

So any experience with restoring a hardtop?

Where doe one get bits?

What is the risk when taking out the glass? (I have done the windscreen several times.)

I have a parts list but it is not clear in every aspect. I have looked at the following http://www.74tr6.com/hardtop.htm link but I stll do not see what the rear side ledges should look like. (Covered or painted?) etc.etc.

Peter

You can get pretty much all of the bits from Moss or Rimmers. I did this about 6 months ago although I ended up getting one of the quarterlight seals from Revington as the other places had sold out. If you're restoring the hood replacing all the seals is probably a good idea anyway. They aren't too expensive.

Alternatively if you wanted to hardtop restoring professionally you might try these guys -

http://www.vrc1986.co.uk/id17.html

Their prices seem expensive but maybe worth it?

David

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks so far. What I need are detailed photos from the inside. Where does the headlining go? What bits are painted and what bits are covered. How should it be, around the inside edges around the roof. I have no idea whether the carpet reflects the original factory roof or not. The parts catalogue, as always, just show you pictures from the outside of things, never the inside view. I have never seen the inside of a correct hardtop for a TR6.

Peter,

A friend of mine got his Spitfire Hardtop stripped, repaired and repainted in April 2012. He removed the glass and so had to replace the seals etc during reassembly. He installed a new headlining etc. It cost him about €800 (£650) all in, so it is not cheap, but cheap compared to the price on the link above which quotes £1750 for a stag hardtop.....

I am looking for one for my car - a good one only costs about £350 in comparison, so it might be cheaper to sell yours for £50 or £100 and buy a good one... although matching colour will be a problem

I have just missed one for only 50 pounnds. I did not switch the brain on on quickly enough.

Hogan great pictures we are getting nearer but the bits I need to see are covered up with the hood bag or whatever.

The area you can't see is covered with the same material the head liner is made of. It is glued on and covers the top part of the deck and sides. no paint shows any where, when top is installed.

Hope this helps

Edited by hogan1945

Oh. this means the headlining provided by Rimmers is not correct the is not enough material to cover the side bis. (Oh Sugar)

Derek

Now that's there area where I think I will have problems. I do not have enough cloth from Rimmers to cover this area. I would have to leave the the whole vertical bits just above the phillips screws, with no covering, just painted. This is what got me started when I looked at the hard top. Any body got any bright ideas? I am sure, after such a time, I could not get a good colour match if I was to order some extra cloth. I don't really want two toned head lining.

Peter if anyone on here is renewing their headling then some of their old material would probably match the "Patina" of yours. Worth an ask.

Stuart.