Fitting the later inlet manifold

The later TR4A inlet manifold has 35 mm ports at the head junction. The TR3A unit 38 mm ports. Should you widen the ports on the manifold, or presuming it was made for the same head leave alone.

Thanks David

When I had a head modified by SAH many years ago, the conventional wisdom seemed to be to have the inlet manifolds/ports matched. However, after the demise of that head, I had a NOS standard head modified and asked for the matching again but was told it's now considered better to have a little disturbance of the gas flow, so I should save my money.

FWIW I spoke recently to Andrew Turner of Turner carbs and he advised that the step was in fact benificial to good fuel air mix on an otherwise standard engine. The slight turbulance in fact helped and good exhust flow was a better option. Went with this on my otherwise standard engine but for the tubular manifold and seems to work.

My early 2 had in fact a step from the ST from day one.

rgds

Rod

On a standard engine there isn't much difference either way between opening up the manifold or leaving it 'as is'. If the engine is well tweaked and the cr raised it's a another story, and there is significant top end benefit from port matching. So I found playing with TR manifolds on a rolling road long ago.

Cheers,

Alec

Hi Andrew,

Those air filters look like they might be just what I'm after. What make are they and where can I get them? I presume they fit HS6s and also, what's the clearance with the inner wing?

Cheers, Peter

Hi Peter,

These are the little chaps: http://www.moss-euro...409&SortOrder=5 - and the wing clearance is about 1" at the closest point

Cheers

Andrew