TR 2 door gaps

4 mm looks too big. I think 3.5 mm is the max any gap on a TR should be. 3 mm looks the nicest.You may have to weld on some metal to get this all around the door. Try and get it too look even all the way around. It is a lot of work but well worth the effort. Under 2.5 mm and you may get rubbing.

There is nothing nicer looking than a 'sidescreen' TR with even narrow (3mm) gaps.

Purely my personal opinion and not based on 'originality' or anything like that.

Martin

These cars were built using imperial measurements, It does not apply to these vehicles!!!!!!!!

1/4" is ok 5/16" is ideal but 3/8" is a lot too much,

But too close will end up with the doors hitting the shuts as the body and chassis flex,

Edited by TR24178

With a long door car you are better off with slightly larger gaps as the doors will flex a bit more than later cars, Good point about allowing for paint and primer though you dont want too much on the edges for obvious reasons. Probably best to go for around 4mm and leading the edges is easier than welding.

Barty I have got a R/Hand quarter panel. PM me for details.

Stuart.

Sufficient that when driving and the chassis flexes the panels do not collide chipping the paint off.....

Cheers

Peter W

PS No one went for "Two warm pennies" then

MK2 and S type Jaguar door gaps were an old penny width ;)

Stuart.

Yes, Stuart makes a lot of sense about 4 mm door gaps in a long door TR2 because of the extra flexing - I hadn't thought of that.

You still can use 3 mm gaps for boot and bonnet. It is a great chance to get everything correct before you re-spray. It's too late afterwards and it would be eternally irritating for you if it doesn't look right after the finish has been completed.

Regards,

Martin

I think 1/8 is much too narrow when you see how much everything moves!!

Had a look at photos old and new don't see anything that tight

Edited by TR24178