Help Required for fellow TR7 Owner

Does anyone live near Newbury (RG18)?

I've just received a call from an elderly TR7 owner Peter Widdowson who has trapped the cable of the bonnet release and can't get it to release (we've probably all done it at sometime). Is anyone in the area who can help him out? I've talked him through the solution and he's got the idea but his ageing hands are against him. He has no internet.

His contact number is 01635827270

He is not expecting help immediately but obviously needs it done soon.

Please let me know if there is help out there? I'll call him in a couple of days to see if he's had a response.

John Wood (TR7 Registrar TRDC)

Edited by johnwood
Guest Wayne S

I'm a long way away unfortunately up here in Derbyshire, but if I am passing in the near future I'll get in touch. It's a real pain but I've done it a couple of times with success.

Hopefully he will get some help from the local group to Newbury!

I can help Peter this Sunday and have called him this morning but I haven't yet managed to speak to him. I have not yet confronted this particular 7 issue myself so if there are any guidance notes / pictures on how to rectify/ repair the fault it would be helpful - also, what tools should I take?

I can help Peter this Sunday and have called him this morning but I haven't yet managed to speak to him. I have not yet confronted this particular 7 issue myself so if there are any guidance notes / pictures on how to rectify/ repair the fault it would be helpful - also, what tools should I take?

Rob, give me a bell and I'll talk you through the process.

Steve

Good Man :):)

I'm about half an hour south of Newbury and could help if Bizman can't get there. I'm a bit busy this weekend but next week is a possibility. Likewise I'd appreciate advice on how to do this.

All done.

The problem was that the bonnet pin was very loose and was sitting at an awkward angle in the mechanism. The bonnet cable was unable to pull the locking mechanism far enough apart to release the pin.

Before I went to see Peter, I made the simple tool shown in the photo below:

photo35-1.jpg

I passed the hook end of the tool through one of the wider openings in the mesh that protects the fresh air vent and guided it toward the 'post' through which the bonnet cable passes. I placed the hook end of the tool against the 'post' and pushed it toward the nearside of the car and hey presto, the bonnet release mechanism operated and released the bonnet pin.

I tightened the bonnet pin, gave the mechanism a good clean and a liberal spray with WD40 and re-closed the bonnet. One pull on the cable and the bonnet popped up.

All in all, it took me 5 minutes!

I am certain that this method would also release a bonnet if the cable were to be detached/broken. I recommend you make up one of these tools and have it to hand just in case.

I should patent it really...!!! :D