Best place to buy a std cam shaft

• 3 weeks later...

Dear all

Those helpful chaps at TRGB suggest I go for a piper fast road cam as a replacement because there is an issue getting standard cams. Will this cause me lots of timing issues or is this a fairly close match?

best regards

Simon

Ask the helpful chaps at TRGB for a profile spec of their proposed Piper cam and check it against a genuine 150 cam spec. perhaps?

Cheers

Peter W

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

Dear all

Where is the best place to buy a std road cam for my 1970 CP engine. Of course I want the best value but I believe there may be issues with hardening? And how do they reprofile a cam which has had the cam worn down?

Cheers

Smeggie

Very very rare does a std cam wear out if it has there are other issue's

Moss used to list the durations of their cams in their catalogue - may be worth having a look. I have been having a rummage but can't find what the original CP duration was - you will need that to do a comparison (obviously)...

Good news

What a pain getting the cam out, suprised they didnt cut a small recess in the front valance, must admit I was tempted to get the angle grinder out :unsure: Well its a 307689 camshaft with two rings on the front which is good, the lobes look ok but then I have nothing to compare them with. There is some wear and looks as if some of the hardening is damaged on the bit which I assume is not applying pressure to the cam follower as in opposite the highest point of the lob. Thought I might pop into Rimmers and see if they will let me compare it with a new one

Cheers

Smeggie

We´ve just ordered 2 standard 150BHP Pi-spec camshafts from Moss for 2 engine rebuilds currently underway in our workshops - I´ve not had the chance to see one yet so I can´t be certain of the quality.

Perhaps someone else has ordered one from Moss previously and would be in a position to comment ?

Regards,

Martin.