To spat or not to spat

Totally off topic: Every time I see Don's pic of the Continental Devide, I come up with the same question: obviously, the person who shot the pic had the sun in his (her) back, according to the shadow, so he/she was positioned south-ish of the car, thus looking north or north east. From that position I would guess that the text on the plaquette has to be switched: the 'Atlantic' text on the right, the 'Pacific' text on the left. What do I miss (answers on a postcard or a PM).

Menno

I can't help but thinking that you have too much time on your hands. ;):P

Regards

Peter

Menno - As mentioned above by Roger, there are twists and turns in those mountains and the slope towards the Pacific at that spot goes "east" for a bit then the rivulets curve around and end up in the pacific. The same for the other directiion. BTW, I remember the photo being taken in late August at about noon. When we left Breconridge, it was about freezing (altitude about 9000 ft) and we drove in a long convoy climbing to the top of the pass where there was about an inch of snow trapped in the long grass - but the snow on the road had sublimated.

Think about the Panama Canal. A ship travels east from the Atlantic Ocean all the way in a south-easterly direction before getting to the Pacific. This is because Panama makes a geographical "S" curve where they built the canal. Check the map.

Thanks Don (and other members). I was under the impression that the line was more or less a virtual line like a meridian. Not realising that it's a geographical line.

And yes, perhaps I do have a lot of time on my hands - but hey, that's what I have since I cut the hours in school (part time retired you can say) on my 52th birthday 2.5 yrs ago. And... I love Trivial Pursuit...

Menno

• 6 years later...

Welcome to the forum

Great colour,  car funky wing mirrors

spats are a rare thing on a car nowadays 

29 minutes ago, rayantoky said:

I need to delete duplicate  comments..can't  seem to do it.

I think post deletion is a moderator task  

I am sure a moderator can do it for you. To tidy things up. 

Is the name Ray ?

where are you located ?

Edited by Hamish
Clarification