Exhaust manifold to cylinder head nuts

Some discussion here yesterday concerning the "tall" nuts which secure the exhaust manifold to the cylinder head. Some say steel nuts on copper plated steel studs, others say always copper/bronze nuts, yet other say steel nuts originally but later changed to bronze.

Any comments? :)

VTR_Galveston_103112_IMG_7590.jpg

Didn't see that discussion - on this Forum?

I'm not aware of steel nuts ever being used to bolt

the manifold to the head, but if they were ever steel,

it must have been very very early TRs only.

Copper plated studs - Yes.

Or at least, copper coloured studs - I don't suppose

the plating was pure copper.

AlanR

Edited by TR 2100

Frank, I'm not sure about early TR2's, but I've seen many later cars with brass nuts each end of the exhaust manifold and steel nuts holding the clamps. The nuts from the exhaust manifold to the engine pipe were always brass.

The studs were steel but could have looked copper plated if smeared with copper grease to stop the nuts from siezing on.

Regards,

Viv.

I've always liked the idea of having bras nuts on manifolds as like Brian says steel ones seem to seize and break the studs if left for any length of time.

recently on the hunt for brass "full nuts" I dropped into our local nut and bold man who said "not any more mate, I weighed in all of the brass stock, because it was more in scrap than selling it over the counter".

I was however able to buy a load on ebay and more at the local Landrover emporium.

Brass nuts look best in my opinion.

Cheers

Ian

Frank, I'm not sure about early TR2's, but I've seen many later cars with brass nuts each end of the exhaust manifold and steel nuts holding the clamps. The nuts from the exhaust manifold to the engine pipe were always brass.

The studs were steel but could have looked copper plated if smeared with copper grease to stop the nuts from siezing on.

Regards,

Viv.

AFIK Viv is pretty much correct but I always fit brass now regardless so they can be removed a lot easier at any time in the future. New studs are very often copper plated.

Stuart.

Edited by stuart
  • 2 weeks later...

Some discussion here yesterday concerning the "tall" nuts which secure the exhaust manifold to the cylinder head. Some say steel nuts on copper plated steel studs, others say always copper/bronze nuts, yet other say steel nuts originally but later changed to bronze.

Any comments? :)

VTR_Galveston_103112_IMG_7590.jpg

The manifold to head nuts were steel and 9/16" AF hex with a 3/8" unc thread. I like many have replaced with brass OE Pt No 56675 for steel.

The down pipe to manifold was held by pt no 108951 nuts which were - wait for it - A2 stainless steel. How do I know? I have a Stanpart packet full of the genuine items.

There are :-

3 on a TR2/3/4 250/TR6 carb (all single down pipe cars.)

OR

4 fitted on a TR4A/5/6 PI or TR6 carb (all twin down pipe).

They are special as they are deeper than regular nuts and have a 5/8" AF hexagon with the correct 3/8" unc thread.

If anyone is interested I will sell some at £2.50 each including P&P in the UK.

PM if interested or if you want overseas postage rates.

Cheers

Peter W