Tr3a Seat Frame Repair

Hi All,

Both of my seat frames are strangely both tilting ie the seat back folds forward.

In preparation for the arrival of new seat covers i have stripped the coverings from one of the seat frames,

which i thought was in need of repair.

Sure enough it does.

DSC_0614.jpg

DSC_0613.jpg

DSC_0615.jpg

I am considering whether to make this seat frame non tilting, or maybe leave it, your

opinions aoppreciated

If someone has a picture of how a fixed seat frame should look that would be a great help

Thanks Very Much

Guy

Edited by JerseyRoyal2

The only way to successfully weld up seat bases, and the result will be better from the raster distorted new ones that are available, is to have a proper sheet metal man or panel beater who gas welds repair it. The trouble with Mig is that it leaves the metal brittle and guarantees more cracks.

Thanks All

The base of the frame has ben covered with some sort of black sealer :angry: , which makes the bases look

worse than they are, clearly the rust is obvious. :(

Heres Rods picture, for future reference

PICT1766-2.jpg

Thanks Rod

I am in the process of making some a paper templates, so i can fabricate some repair pieces.

Fortunately the other seat is in good nick with no rust or holes, and not covered in black sh*t.

Brian i can see the advantage of haveing two tilting seats

The taking strip on mine seems to be a 1/4 inch hardboard <_< is this a good idea , would i be better with a

ply?

Thanks

Guy

Edit

Heres a great link especially if you plan to make your own covers

http://xjguy.com/triumph/diy_tr3a_seat_covers.pdf

Edited by JerseyRoyal2

Doing a bit of research and with reference to this thread 2008

http://www.tr-regist...showtopic=15346

It seems that Tr3a seat frames flex, Ian Vincent carried out some mods to the frames to stiffem them,

i am at the stage where i can add extra metal to reinforce the seats and prevent twist.

Any thoughts or ideas

Cheers

Guy

Edited by JerseyRoyal2

It certainly wouldnt hurt to stiffen them up as Ian has done. Most of the ones I have had to deal with as well as split on the mounting holes have also been split round the rear of the base on each side just below where the wood fillet goes (Yes Guy you would be better off with some ply round there to nail the covers to) but by the time they have been welded up and some penny repair washers spot welded on each of the mounting holes then they do end up a lot stiffer than original. The other thing with having two tilting seats is you will have to be careful with the new ready made seat covers as they are different shape at the bottoms of the back section from a fixed to a tilt version.

Stuart.

Edited by stuart

It certainly wouldnt hurt to stiffen them up as Ian has done. Most of the ones I have had to deal with as well as split on the mounting holes have also been split round the rear of the base on each side just below where the wood fillet goes (Yes Guy you would be better off with some ply round there to nail the covers to) but by the time they have been welded up and some penny repair washers spot welded on each of the mounting holes then they do end up a lot stiffer than original. The other thing with having two tilting seats is you will have to be careful with the new ready made seat covers as they are different shape at the bottoms of the back section from a fixed to a tilt version.

Stuart.

Hmm,

Was just thinking there would be a difference, but wasnt sure how significant it would be, as the tilting seat would have shorter cover,

so i may be able to adapt to suit.

Have emailed my supplier see how far he has got and advise hin i have two tilting seats, see what happens.

Thanks Stuart

GUY

Guy

You have some work cut out for you there ! I gas welded the repairs to my seat but they were only cracks, your seats look more interesting.

With regards to seat covers is there not an Upholsterer on the Island you could use to make and fit the covers. I am having mine custom made here in France and the cost including fitting and the repair of the seat bases is not much more than the seat cover kits and I get to chose the exact colours I want, I finally went for a rich dark blue with white piping. The guy doing the work is currently redoing the interior of an Alvis in Green leather.

Cheers

Alan

Edited by Kiwifrog

Guy

You have some work cut out for you there ! I gas welded the repairs to my seat but they were only cracks, your seats look more interesting.

With regards to seat covers is there not an Upholsterer on the Island you could use to make and fit the covers. I am having mine custom made here in France and the cost including fitting and the repair of the seat bases is not much more than the seat cover kits and I get to chose the exact colours I want, I finally went for a rich dark blue with white piping. The guy doing the work is currently redoing the interior of an Alvis in Green leather.

Cheers

Alan

Hi Alan,

I have a plan for that seat frame, fortunately the other is in red oxide and no rust.

The movement on both seats is where they bolt together, so i think the base needs stiffening with attention to thia area.

As well as all the items Stuart and Rod mentioned.

There was a trimmer overhere who i used to use, funny chap, but did an excellent job at reasonable cost. He has been retired for a

good few years now. I also knew a sail maker , but hes now working in Canada somewhere .As for the rest of the trimmers , they are busy working mainly on boats where there is plenty of dosh to be

made overhere.

A local car restoration bussiness "Le Riche Automobile" bring in a trimmer from France to do their work. There are other trimmers

however costs being Jersey, will be twice that of the Uk.

So i will give it a go <_<:)

Cheers

Guy

Edited by JerseyRoyal2

Fitting the plywood strips to the seat back.

If you are having difficulty in getting a piece of 6mm plywood to shape around the back of the seats, do what I did which was to buy a sheet of 3mm plywood and cramp two strips of 3mm together with waterproof PVA between them, around the back of the curve and leave to dry. Once dry you have a 6mm strip that can be pop riveted to the seat back. (Note: I actually used stainless steel screws, it was easier)

Rgds Ian

Fitting the plywood strips to the seat back.

If you are having difficulty in getting a piece of 6mm plywood to shape around the back of the seats, do what I did which was to buy a sheet of 3mm plywood and cramp two strips of 3mm together with waterproof PVA between them, around the back of the curve and leave to dry. Once dry you have a 6mm strip that can be pop riveted to the seat back. (Note: I actually used stainless steel screws, it was easier)

Rgds Ian

Good point Ian

Where did you carry out reinforcemnt to the frame, and do you think

it has helped?

Cheers

Guy

Proper trimmers are rare and much in demand, but far more expensive than buying a trim kit for something like a TR. The reason is that the kit suppliers are simply cutting out bits of leather and carpet to a pattern and binding or sewing them together.

A traditional trimmer will make vintage seats from scratch and to the original designs, which is complicated and expensive work, but it means that they'd do a better job than a seat kit, at a price.

My son did my TR sniffily, he mostly does rare exotics, but still made me buy seat covers from John Skinner, so that he could moan like hell that they didn't fit properly.

Ash

My son did my TR sniffily, he mostly does rare exotics, but still made me buy seat covers from John Skinner, so that he could moan like hell that they didn't fit properly.

Ash

Nothing new there.

Stuart.

Guy, The bottom pan cracks around the rear mounting points (more so for the passenger seat which concentrates all the load into the two little supports and applies maximum leverage to the curved back. So I had to replace the whole rear area on the pan and then put the 1/8" X 2" strips down either side along the line of the fixing holes. The 20 g stiffeners were triangular and on the inside of the gussets on either side. And yes the whole frame feels much stiffer than it did but let's face it, they were both so cracked they had lost all their stiffness. Apologies for the formatting by the way but my 'enter' key has stopped working on the forum. it works on every other application, Word, Mail etc but not the forum. I have tried re-booting a couple of times but to no avail. any ideas anyone? Rgds Ian

Guy, The bottom pan cracks around the rear mounting points (more so for the passenger seat which concentrates all the load into the two little supports and applies maximum leverage to the curved back. So I had to replace the whole rear area on the pan and then put the 1/8" X 2" strips down either side along the line of the fixing holes. The 20 g stiffeners were triangular and on the inside of the gussets on either side. And yes the whole frame feels much stiffer than it did but let's face it, they were both so cracked they had lost all their stiffness. Apologies for the formatting by the way but my 'enter' key has stopped working on the forum. it works on every other application, Word, Mail etc but not the forum. I have tried re-booting a couple of times but to no avail. any ideas anyone? Rgds Ian

Thanks Ian most helpful.

Just got to get some metal then will be making a few template.

Cheers

Guy

Proper trimmers are rare and much in demand, but far more expensive than buying a trim kit for something like a TR. The reason is that the kit suppliers are simply cutting out bits of leather and carpet to a pattern and binding or sewing them together.

A traditional trimmer will make vintage seats from scratch and to the original designs, which is complicated and expensive work, but it means that they'd do a better job than a seat kit, at a price.

Ash

Ash

I am lucky, the guy doing mine is a 3rd generation Trimmer who has semi retired to the SW france after 30 years in the trade having started as an apprentice to his grandfather and father at 15. I have seen some of his work and it is fantastic. He is making the interior trim from scratch using the old factory covers as models, he is also rebuilding the seats.

Living in rural France means overheads are low as well so a decent price,On a par with an off the shelf kit and I can have any colour I want with any piping i want, and it will be fitted as well so in the long run it works out cheaper than a kit.

I think it is worth while getting prices for some work from proper artisans as the finish will be better than a kit and the price differential once you have taken into account the hours of fitting time and the finished result is not much.

Now where did I put that fluro orange leather sample, ah there it is next to the faux Zebra skin........ :D:D:D

Alan

Edited by Kiwifrog

Now you've done it Alan - 'er indoors will be demanding a re-trim in Ocelot (like everything else) :D

Actually one of the nicest trims I've seen was my neighbour's red 3A with black leather seats piped red. Very smart indeed, but it wouldn't suit a white car.

Anyhow, I recall the thinking behind having only the one tilting seat was to deter children from getting in and out on the traffic side.

The answer to the flimsy bases was to have a pair replicated in heavier gauge metal, not needing the pan swages, then sell the originals.

Viv

Guy,

Regarding the wood strips......don't use wood at all!

When I rebuilt my TR2 seats I fabricated the curved wood strip for the first seat using 6 very thin strips of wood, glued together and clamped to the seat base to get the right shape as the glue dried. It worked fine but was a real pain cutting those super thin pieces.

For the second seat I decided to try a different route. I went to my local TAP plastics store and asked if there was anything they had that would bend easily and be able to hold nails hammered in, without splitting. They suggested something called HDPE. It worked like a charm! Would never use wood for that situation again.

I assume HDPE stands for high density polyethylene. Great stuf to work with. Cost me around $5 for the seat. Try it.

John B.

Actually, I just had another idea........

I believe the new plastic decking that is replacing wood decking for many folks would work just as well. It's probobly made from HDPE, certainly would cut up and bend quite nicely. Finding a scrap piece shouldn't be that hard.

John B.

When I did mine I tried bending some plywood, made a jig etc. It was a waste of time. I ended up using some 1.5 inch plastic Venetian blind slats I had stashed away. Much like John, I found that they worked perfectly. Held the staples well and were easy to bend. Cheers, Mike