TR6 standard exhaust system

Hi!

I am helping my father-in-law who lives abroad who is currently restoring a TR6 to its former glory. He has some limited availability of parts so am helping out over there in the UK:)

He needs a new exhaust system, as far as I know he doesn't need a manifold. I have been googling and have found the following:

http://www.moss-europe.co.uk/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=6704

Are there any others to consider? Or better?

Thanks in advance!

C

Very much depends on what youre after. There the twin pipe system with twin rear boxes, one for each side of the car. The standard system is mild steel, twin pipes but single box exiting from the passenger side (RHD cars). You can also go single pipe big bore for more get up and go usually mated with uprated cylinder head. many prefer the sound of the standard mild steel system, however the standard stainless will obviously last longer and cost a bit more.

Suggest you try the TR Shop, and TRGB, and or TR Trader, I believe all of these are cheaper than Moss and good quality and fit. The latter two will probably walk you through the options and prices with some free advice on noise and performance. Got mine 2nd hand (they regularly come up on Flebay and here) for considerably less than new and as it was stainless not really any wear and tear issues.

Hello Christer.

As Robin states, try other suppliers - I purchased a twin sports system for my TR6 last year from TRGB (I think its made by Double S Exhausts) and it fits well and is not to loud. (also purchased the fitting kit TT5204FK at the same time)

heres the link to TRGB http://trparts.trgb.co.uk/parts/exhausts/ Part Number X7 at £199.00 exc vat is much cheaper than the item sold by MOSS.

Pat

Many thanks for fast replies, I will check these out.

He wants a stainless steel system, twin box but as close to standard in terms of noise as poss....he has been quoted about £1000 where he lives......^^

I think its great he is restoring, so may have other questions later!:D

Thanks again!

C

Christer.

The X700 manifold is only for use with the "BIG BORE" single pipe system (X7/S), and will not fit the sports system (X7).

The (X7) sports system has a twin pipe "down-pipe" that connects directly to the original cast iron manifold unit.

If you want to use the X700 Phoenix "extractor" manifold - then you would either need to buy the X7/S BIG BORE system or purchase Phoenix's twin box system which has a single to twin pipe adaptor unit - which then connects to the twin box system.

Best to talk to Chris or Rob at TRGB for assistance / availability of the twin box and extractor manifold systems.

Also see Rimmer Brothers web site for pics on the Phoenix systems - for your info purposes.

http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-GRID006626 .. http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-GRID006634 ... http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-GRID006630

hope this helps you.

Pat

Christer, If your dads 'Restoring' his TR surely he would want it to be a Standard Exhaust System the way Triumph designed it to Look and Sound?

I've owned my TR6 for over 40 years, and have lost count of the number of times I have replaced the entire system due to rust! So last year I invested in a beautifully made Stainless Steel System that I bought from the TR SHOP in Chiswick London. It cost £183.33 and the Fixing kit cost £32.46. It fitted together perfectly to the original cast manifold and cleared all the chassis parts without any messing about! It's beautifully finished and the twin tail pipes are highly polished...and it sounds Glorious too!

Edited by Denis

Christer, If your dads 'Restoring' his TR surely he would want it to be a Standard Exhaust System the way Triumph designed it to Look and Sound?

I've owned my TR6 for over 40 years, and have lost count of the number of times I have replaced the entire system due to rust! So last year I invested in a beautifully made Stainless Steel System that I bought from the TR SHOP in Chiswick London. It cost £183.33 and the Fixing kit cost £32.46. It fitted together perfectly to the original cast manifold and cleared all the chassis parts without any messing about! It's beautifully finished and the twin tail pipes are highly polished...and it sounds Glorious too!

Hi Denis

To your originality point, I would tend to agree but it will be his decision:) He does need a manifold as well though, I guess I will call round TR shop and TRGB to see what the options and costs are....I have had several older 911's so am a little more "au fait" with those cars, these TR6's are completely new to me.....:)

Thanks again for all your help so far.

C

I agree Denis. My TR shop standard stainless has been on for 2 years - fitted by me in the garage lying on my back.....how else! Nothing has worked loose, moved, blown and actually sounds better with the build up of a couple of years carbon inside.

Mike

• 5 months later...

Hi

So a long overdue (perhaps) update - this project is taking some time! As a manifold is needed, has anyone purchased and fitted the "Double SS" fast road manifold with the Twin Sports system? I spoke to TR Shop recently and they said that the manifold is not that good, and that a Phoenix manifold would be far batter. The main thing with the Double SS being that it may take a bit of faffing around to get it to fit....and I was wondering if anyone has any first-hand experience fitting that manifold?

Many thanks in advance!

Christer

Hi Christer,

I fitted the Phoenix manifold with twin exhaust (some of us aren't that pedantic about originality.. ;) ). The sound is great and the engine definitely 'breathes' better for it. The twin exhaust's and pipes were purchased from Moss but check out the other recommendations too.

Cheers

Tony

Not sure what a double ss looks like but, most recommend a 6-3-1 arrangement for road use.

Interestingly (6-3-1 already fitted) we're just swapping from a twin back box system to a single 2 1/4" bore and it seems to pull better.

Anyone any views or evidence on the difference or best exhaust system for power/efficiency on a TR5/6?

Cheers

When I bought mine it had the "wheel barrow" pipes (no offence to the lovers of same ;)

But the look and sound was not to MY likening, changed to the Phoenix as Tony, and FAR more my type of thing. JMHO

At the end of the day it's personal choice.

Hi I had the same & changed to what keving has.

Cheers

Mike B)

When I bought mine it had the "wheel barrow" pipes (no offence to the lovers of same ;)

But the look and sound was not to MY likening, changed to the Phoenix as Tony, and FAR more my type of thing. JMHO

At the end of the day it's personal choice.

This is a great thread. I have the standard exhaust on mine but have the sports exhaust in the garage (included when I got the car). My man Rolf tells me that I will get wan extra 4 or 5 HP out of it but the real difference is in the structure of the manifold that allows the engine to breathe and draw on the firing cylinders that gives the real efficiency boost.

I think I will keep my standard exhaust on for now.

It is highly likely that you will benefit with a 'sports' exhaust compared to a standard one but to reap the full potential have the head ported and matched to your inlet and exhaust manifolds.

Cheers

Tony