Steering rack conversion and shocks

I fitted Delrin and poly bushes on TuRK along with Spax front shocks and the Revingtons' top plate and I have no trouble with the steering. I wouldn't change it for R&P as I want the original 50s’ feel - however, it is a bit heavy when parking, but the knack is to parallel park at 30mph and then you've cracked it! :D

Cheers

Andrew

('Hopalong')

Thanks Marco that looks excellent... the horn part is pretty much ala Protek i.e. winding flexi cables around steering column but 'der blinker' bit is very clever if I've understood the pictures correctly.

Re the parking.... er setting up some cones right now I'll let you know how I get on! :)

Granted, I am across the pond in the states but have fitted R&P to my 59TR3A. For my type of driving on our roads, I feel that it is the best modification which i have made to my British love. I drive her quite often and log approximately 10000 miles a year. The R&P has heightened my enjoyment and made my driving journeys a delight. Granted, I will not score well at concours events but the modification was worth the trade off.

• 6 months later...

That's a dead ringer of a TR Bitz conversion which I bought for my 3A. I certainly didn't like the 'U' bolts for securing the rack because they wouldn't stop the rack from moving laterally so I used TR4 alloy mounts.

Tom.

Edited by Fireman049

Yeah I gather that Glen at Protek came up with the first one and others soon copied. I've also got the Revtech fan and removing the old fan parts completely then have a blanking plate instead so nothing is in the way laterally to use Tom's word. was that your issue Tom?

Arch

Interesting topic. My previous TRs all had steering boxes, just got a new one (Thursday) which is fitted with a rack and my first thought was to convert back, but . . . just back from a run out, had parked in Morrisons car park, reversed out and I sub consiously expected that heavy wrench of the wheel and slight pain in the ribs, but it never came, it is a delight to use and it is still, definately a 50s car to drive, even with the rack. Fantasic IMHO.

Cheers, Bill