Wife driving car

The wife has today had a good drive of the TR6, not having done it for a year or so. She pronounced it good fun.

The good bits were.

Powerful

handles well

Nice steering

Moderate clutch

The bad were

Heavy parking speed steering

A bit smelly. Exhaust drawn in and a bit rich

I was pretty impressed with her abilities. She rapidly got the hang of it and started powering it into corners. Only a couple of missed gear changes. What spoilt the whole affair as it usually does on these South Devon roads was the amount of slow traffic. We wanted to go out for a blast and ended up mostly pottering.

Am considering moving to mid Devon or mid Wales.

David.

Yes my wife and I actually fight over the keys to our TR6. There is always that annoying "it's my turn" moment! Devon is lovely (my dearly-departed in-laws used to live at Paignton) but I know what you mean about the traffic.

My TR6 incidentally is Devon-registered. I thought it was an age-related issue because it used to wear a personal plate, but the DVLA confirmed it was originally registered in Tiverton...with a number issued by the then Devonshire County Council....

My Mrs hasn't driven 'MY' TR for years...and has no desire to do so either :P

The first time she ever did was when we had a weekend break in Derbyshire...we discovered the 'then' unused derelict Donnington Race Track...and she did a few solo laps of the famous old Melbourne Loop! :ph34r:

Whilst she didn't take-off at the top of the hill a la the pre war Auto Unions or mighty Mercs...she did give it some Welly around the hairpin...almost getting the inside wheel off the deck! :wub:

Somewhere I've got a picture...I also have one of the TR going through the old footbridge which pre war was part of the track (now just the footpath) amazing (according to folklore) to think the Silver Arrows used to go through it side by side wheels interlocked!!! :o

Edited by Denis

Many years ago,my wife drove my TR4 for no more than a mile and refused to go any further.

She complained that she was sat too low down and couldn't see the end of the bonnet, the steering was too heavy, she couldn't push the clutch in, and she had to use both feet on the brake.

She has not driven it since.

The Stag, on the other hand, she loves driving. No doubt helped by PAS, automatic transmission, servo-brakes, and such luxuries as leccy windows and an after market CD player.

99% of the time that suits me just fine. :D

HPIM1807.jpg

Regards

Peter

Bev, the LHC, drove VUX soon after I bought it in September 2010, she did ok and was a bit cautious as the last time she drove a TR6 was in 1983.

My eldest son drove VUX and complained about the brakes and heavy steering :rolleyes: .................trouble is you can't judge TRs by modern standards, but the young'uns do! :huh:

Cheers

Andrew

Edited by Andrew Smith

Bev, the LHC, drove VUX soon after I bought it in September 2010, she did ok and was a bit cautious as the last time she drove a TR6 was in 1983.

My eldest son drove VUX and complained about the brakes and heavy steering :rolleyes: .................trouble is you can't judge TRs by modern standards, but the young'uns do! :huh:

Cheers

Andrew

Emma finds it better to drive than her Euro box ;)

When she was younger my daughter, Beth, didnt like going in my TR6 she found it drew to much attention, when she was 17 and passed her test the car has become much cooler. She is 20 now and last year we went out for lunch and I suggested she drove home. I said "you need to be aggressive change gear quick and dont be scared. After a quick run round the car park it was out on to the main road (dual carriageway) well she was aggressive slid the back end as we turned out on to the road and she did a great job.

the car suited her much more than it does a middle aged man! at some stage it will become hers but not to soon I hope (now the car is very cool and happy for me to pick her up from uni in it)

My grandson, William (3 yesterday) calls it "Grampy's noisy car". He always insists that he's not afraid of it but bursts into tears if I start it!

My grandson, William (3 yesterday) calls it "Grampy's noisy car". He always insists that he's not afraid of it but bursts into tears if I start it!

Give him time Dave, he could turn out like my son who was very timid when that age - disliked fireworks, barking dogs etc etc, now he's a bike racer and yesterday at Snetterton was doing 170 mph on the straight.

bob

Give him time Dave, he could turn out like my son who was very timid when that age - disliked fireworks, barking dogs etc etc, now he's a bike racer and yesterday at Snetterton was doing 170 mph on the straight.

Yes, give him time Dave, he'll soon enough be bursting into tears when it doesn't start, just like the rest of us! :D

Cheers

Andrew

When she was younger my daughter, Beth, didnt like going in my TR6 she found it drew to much attention, when she was 17 and passed her test the car has become much cooler.

Our eldest doesn't like the 2 for the same reason. I picked her up from school in it once (a Saturday morning club thing, so not a lot of people about) and she told me that "some people might think your cool but everyone here thinks you look stupid !" she had her head down all the way home in case someone recognized her. She takes her test in 6 weeks but her attitude hasn't changed.

Our youngest on the other hand loves it :)

The Wife doesn't wish to drive the 6 but she sure does look hot in it when she does. On the other had, my daughter, 12, cannot wait for the day she gets to drive it. The Wife used to like to drive the Stag as it was an autobox and also had that really light power steering.

Well, I wasn't going to respond to this thread as the photo has been shown before but what the hell!

James May said that he has never seen a woman driving a TR6. He should have come to Cornwall a few years ago because my wife drove a TR everyday for 30 years. It was our only car.

The photo is self evident. Mind you, I am known for tongue in cheek posts as Duncan Jolly will confirm. Remember the Pasty repair to TS2's sump on it's visit to Cornwall ?

Rodders