Tr2 Long door water pump problem

Having replaced the water pump with the original wide toothed belt type , on my 1954 Tr2 long door. I was horrified to find it had started stripping off the inside of the steel pulley with the woodruff key. The holding on nut, however, remained tight.

There wasn't anything wrong with the pump itself so i replaced the pulley with a used one and replaced the woodruff key.

The same happened again - so I then replaced the set up with a new standard pump, pulley and belt - ( in a bid to try and keep the car as original as possible.)

Shortly after this the belt began whistling - a pal of mine with more Tr knowledge checked and confirmed that the belt wasn't too tight. A squirt of WD40 stopped the whistle.

All was well for a couple of months until today - and once again the pulley has come to mishap !!!!

Could it be that the dynamo is out of line thus putting strain on the side of the pulley? Although to be honest I didn't think this was possible due to the nature of it's fixings. (NB: The dynamo was replaced with a new one 2 years ago)

Can anyone help shed light on what is going wrong, and suggestions how to prevent it continuing to happen?

here's hoping someone can help me out .

Regards Trev

If you look from the side across the line of the belt and pulleys you should be able to tell if it is running out of true. With the wide belt fitted they are a lot less forgiving for running out of line than a thin belt.

I have seen dynamo brackets bent as well as loose in the block. (If those bolts are loose you can also get oil leaks as they go into the oil gallery.)

Stuart.

Trev,

When i stripped mine down i found that on the bracket that attaches to the block to hold dynamo.

The rear hole was elongated, which would have allowed the dynamo to move.

Worth checking how yours is.

Cheers

Guy

Many thanks Guy - I will check it out tomorrow. Cheers Trev

If you look from the side across the line of the belt and pulleys you should be able to tell if it is running out of true. With the wide belt fitted they are a lot less forgiving for running out of line than a thin belt.

I have seen dynamo brackets bent as well as loose in the block. (If those bolts are loose you can also get oil leaks as they go into the oil gallery.)

Stuart.

Thanks will give the dynamo a thorough checking - regards Trev

Hi Trev,

that sounds like a classic case of 'out of line' - and given that the water pump pulley is unlikely to be adrift, almost certainly the dynamo.

Check the dynamo for fore and aft movement of the shaft - you'd be surprised just how much wear created end float there can be even though the damn thing is still strutting its stuff generating the volts. You'll need to loosen the belt of course to check that, what looks in line stationary can be a different matter under rotation if the dynamo pulley is able to slide . . . .

Mind you, it's not inconceivable that there's a problem with the crank pulley - I've known one that was warped and caused your symptoms. Long shot, but worth a check, how does it look with the engine running ?

Cheers,

Alec

Hello Trev,

I had exactly the same problems with the water pump pulley and a squealing belt on my TR4. I had read somewhere that the wide toothed belt was prone to squealing despite, as far as I could see, not being out of line. I changed the water pump and the pulley ( the bearing was shot too) but the squealing persisted.

Later, I changed the belt back to one of the old non toothed type, tensioned it to give the required deviation on the section between pump and dynamo, squeal disappeared, job done!

Hope this is of some help

John