TR6 Diff mounts

The TR6 diff mounts as we know are compromised through the original design, but having upgraded to polybush mounts in an effort to solve a 'rear end clunk' I notice that even now there is still possibility for diff movement. Consider the rear mounts - the issue is the amount of clearance between the chassis stud (OD 0.5580") and the sleeve (ID 0.6335) which fits over the stud and carries the assembled polybushes and mounting plate. This clearance of 75 thou (1.9 mmm) - known in engineering terms as a 'horses collar fit', must surely give rise to 'noise and movement' when 150 bhp is delivered to the diff. Question: has anyone out there either shimmed the stud or better still replaced the sleeve with reduced internal diameter - say 0.560 - 0.565 and if so with what results?

TonyC

Hi Al, yes diff mounts are solid and no signs of cracking / corrosion, and have been reinforced. The poly bush upgrade has made a huge difference but still there is a slight clunk on initial reverse after forward motion and initial forward motion after reversing. Clearly some movement somewhere and that massive clearance between stud and sleeve is a sensible suspect.

Thanks,

tony

Hi Al, yes diff mounts are solid and no signs of cracking / corrosion, and have been reinforced. The poly bush upgrade has made a huge difference but still there is a slight clunk on initial reverse after forward motion and initial forward motion after reversing. Clearly some movement somewhere and that massive clearance between stud and sleeve is a sensible suspect.

Thanks,

tony

Tony,

I had exactly the same after polybush upgrade and failed to find the cause for a long time. On a suggestion here checked the front ones to find that they had different heights.

Stan

Edited by smizgals

Have you got the wrong bushes as it seems a large tolerance! Did you use copper slip or thick grease when assembling bushes?

If the diff mounts are good usual reason for clunks are the drive shafts or U/J's (including propshaft). Also how much backlash has the diff got?

If these are fine one other thing it may be is a slack brake adjuster to backplate. Check by putting on handbrake and then rocking wheel. Cheers Derek

Edited by Damson6

Or it could be the front diff plate starting to fracture.....

Jerry

I'd second that...

Or the 4 bolts that hold it to the axle case not tight enough - some one changed the nose seal and forgot to re-tighten the bolts after removing the washers to get the seal through. - Trade trick is to peen the edge of the washers to allow the seal past......

Peter W

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks to all for input advice and experiences.

I have now made a couple of new sleeves to replace existing from the poly bush kit. Clearance between stud and sleeve is now circa 4 thou. The overall length of the sleeve was also reduced by around 30 thou to allow some compression of poly bushes on final installation. I am now confident that there is no diff movement outside that afforded by the poly bushes themselves. Sleeve to stud assembly included liberal use of silicone grease. Unfortunately the modified sleeves were made from mild steel so will be subject to corrosion so stainless versions are planned over the winter. It will be interesting to examine the mod again after some use.

If anyone wants the relevant dimensions of the existing and modified parts send me an email and I will be happy to send you the drawings.

TonyC

For your infromation: www.tr-nord.de sells "Drehmoment-Stütze" alias Torque Arm to restrict diff movement.

See http://www.tr-nord.de/portal/alias__Rainbow/lang__de/tabID__64/DesktopDefault.aspx!

This is Babel Fish translation:

"Torque arm for TR 4A - 6 order. No. KA 105spt

The motor force affects the recording points through the differential the diff.-bridges.

Here it comes to cracks and fractures. To strengthen this area, we have a

Torque arm is manufactured.

It is attached under the front right diff.-holder, the counterpart is attached to body frame and welded at the 4 corners."

I myself have this part and plan to install it this winter.

Martti B)

That would work but if the diff mounts are properly re-enforced in the first place then you shouldnt need it.

Stuart.