Wheeler Dealers' TR6 - first picture!

Not bad show, although had to chuckle when

the throttle bodies were call twin choke carbs.

Tin

A good showcase for the TR6, despite a few errors e.g. referring to the throttle bodies as carbs and mounting the Bosch conversion 180 degs out, i.e. vertical!

The waterless coolant was an interesting piece, and I may now use the 20 lts of Castrol 4-Life I’ve had in the garage for about a year in TuRK and VUX.

Pricewise, I would say they stole it as £6k, but who on earth would accept £2,500 less than they wanted for it without even haggling, and as for the selling price of £8,500, that buyer got a real bargain as it would fetch at least another £3k all day long……….

All in all, I wasn’t disappointed – at least those idiots on Ch5 didn’t get their hands on it!

Cheers

Andrew

Also did you see the new metering unit no mention that that needed to be upgraded and new seals put in it. Also the screaming pump could also be the PRV.

All in all a good program not to mention ther other Tosh restoration program.

Lee

Ditto all the above comments...Surprised they didn't mention, or do the Thrust Washer test...or check the Diff Cross member!

Impressed the Pi "Carbs" ran without any fuss...and rather surprised at how Rusty the Fuel Tank was! (Mines still all shiney black after 43 years)

The front Grill was missing it's lower black shelf trim which made the frontend look too Red...Not helped by my personal pet-hate the body colour showing through the Grill!

Details aside, it was a good PR piece for the Cars we love! :wub::wub:

Just watched it after having recorded it as been out... We all enjoyed but agree it seemed a bit of a steal!! Too orchestrated in the initial buying!!! Those who got the car appear to have got a bargain!

Cheers

Ian

Having bought on the last 12 months I have to say it was a superb deal for both buyers!

But hey it was a tv programme.

Tim

Throttle bodies appeared to be refurbed one's or at least had a major clean.

£6k to buy must have been a set up surely?

Not a bad 1 hours worth of entertainment & far better & more realistic than those clowns on Ch5 with Classic Car Rescue(?) which is naff in the extreme & so false it's untrue!

Rant over......nurse!!

Hi chaps.

The bonus was that my 11yo son sat through the while hour. First time he gas been interested in the TR above and beyond the fact that it makes HIM look "cool'.

Tim

Hi chaps.

The bonus was that my 11yo son sat through the while hour. First time he gas been interested in the TR above and beyond the fact that it makes HIM look "cool'.

Tim

Hah! When I used to pick my son up from senior school in mine he used to hide behind park cars so his mates didn't get to see him in it! :rolleyes:

Throttle bodies appeared to be refurbed one's or at least had a major clean.

£6k to buy must have been a set up surely?

Not a bad 1 hours worth of entertainment & far better & more realistic than those clowns on Ch5 with Classic Car Rescue(?) which is naff in the extreme & so false it's untrue!

Rant over......nurse!!

I guess they get some of the TV money anyway. :rolleyes:

The performance of the car must have suffered somewhat on Mike & Ed's Jolly...cos they ain't exactly lightweights!!! :lol:

I know when I take a passenger in mine the performance drops quite noticably! :unsure:

Edited by Denis

Tony,

I have <cough> acquired a copy. I`ll drop it off round to you

To be honest, I'm a bit of a Wheeler Dealers nut. I've got all the episodes and as they've become more 'mature' in their production standards, the content has gotten less and less. A bit more for the masses, but not so much for the enthusiast anymore Im afraid.

Its throw-away statements along the lines of "replace the hood, glue it down, waft the heat gun at it and bobs yer uncle" type of thing that is becoming a little weary. Not just the TR episode either..the Nissan Skyline episode before that was a low point for that type of carry on.

Perhaps Im over analysing it? for all its annoyances though..I did enjoy the episode.

Makes me realise that just buying a TR cant replace 'owning' a TR, as even with the experts at the helm, they still cant tell the difference between throttle bodies and carburetors :D

Cheers

Yes a highly enjoyable program - good to see a TR6 on the telly - and some interesting omissions as well as good points.

The work that went into the engine seemed an awful lot of work for just £300 quoted.

MB certainly didn't seem to check some of the major issues we'd all have been looking for when buying a 6, but of course there are limitations on programme duration, to give 'em the benefit of the doubt !

As Andrew pointed out, the waterless coolant certainly seemed to be a very useful tip and one I'll be looking into as well.

Thoroughly enjoyed it, and it didn't clash with the Footy after all as well ! Polish rain worse than ours !!

Andrew...brilliant, anytime, can't wait...cheers mate.

Neil...it can be uploaded to Youtube but it would have to split into about 4 sections. You can check this out on Youtube for other cars, just search for wheeler dealers with Youtube.

Cheers

Tony

The waterless coolant was an interesting piece, and I may now use the 20 lts of Castrol 4-Life I’ve had in the garage for about a year in TuRK and VUX.

Didn't see it as I've only got FreeView but I used to use 4life (still got 10 ltrs in the garage) but stopped using it when I read a lot of bad press about red coolants in classic cars...took the opportunity to replace it when my head gasket blew a couple of years ago...

Didn't see it as I've only got FreeView but I used to use 4life (still got 10 ltrs in the garage) but stopped using it when I read a lot of bad press about red coolants in classic cars...took the opportunity to replace it when my head gasket blew a couple of years ago...

It seems you poured good coolant (and money) down the drain, figuratively speaking I hope!

Don't be misled by the colour red, 4Life is an Inorganic Additive Technology (IAT) product and the Litmus content turns it red (or cherry) and as such is suitable for classics - it is not an Organic Acid Technology (OAT) (usually red) which is modern anti-freeze and corrosively harmful to classics with cast iron blocks, see: http://www.tr-regist...topic=32761&hl=

Cheers

Andrew

Edited by Andrew Smith

I was fascinated with the flushing agent to remove any remaining water from the system before adding the waterless coolant, in particular the fact that it can be filtered and reused, the filtering must remove the water from the used flushing fluid? Must be pretty damn clever filter paper then!!!!

Graham

Enjoyed the show - if only re-trimming a hood was so so easy...

They do more than they document on film. If they showed everything, each feature would have no depth. I think they packed a lot in to this hour's anyway.

The buy was a fix, or the po was a simpleton.

I know a guy who bought the Chevy Bel-air off their americana series. The list of work they carried out was huge and the car is fab, only a small portion was covered.