Holy Leakin Carbs, Batman

I had hoped not to have to return to this topic again. My last report had us in possession of new viton top hats which we installed and really had no problems until this past weekend. Sunday morning I started my usual cleanup ritual which I follow after each show. When I opened the garage door I immediately noticed the string smell of gas. With the bonnet up it was easy to see that the front carb had been leaking badly, just under the float bowl-to-carb bolt. The rear carb was dry. Scratch of the head??? Ah! Recalling that on friday we had to remove both air filters and disconnect the choke linkage in order to remove the bad dynamo and install the new one. It is very possible that we disturbed the front bowl causing the seal to fail. But, come on, must these buggers be so sensitive. So, I have closed my in-line fuel cut off and will not be running the engine until I am satisfied with a better fix. Just for the record we put about 1500 miles on the car without any fuel leaks.

Have there been any new innovations since I started this thread in October of last year?

• 1 month later...

I had hoped not to have to return to this topic again. My last report had us in possession of new viton top hats which we installed and really had no problems until this past weekend. Sunday morning I started my usual cleanup ritual which I follow after each show. When I opened the garage door I immediately noticed the string smell of gas. With the bonnet up it was easy to see that the front carb had been leaking badly, just under the float bowl-to-carb bolt. The rear carb was dry. Scratch of the head??? Ah! Recalling that on friday we had to remove both air filters and disconnect the choke linkage in order to remove the bad dynamo and install the new one. It is very possible that we disturbed the front bowl causing the seal to fail. But, come on, must these buggers be so sensitive. So, I have closed my in-line fuel cut off and will not be running the engine until I am satisfied with a better fix. Just for the record we put about 1500 miles on the car without any fuel leaks.

Have there been any new innovations since I started this thread in October of last year?

FOLLOW UP

We eventually installed new top hat seals from Moss USA. They now have almost 2500 miles on and haven't leaked a drop!

Cheers, Frank