Replacing sun visors (pull out metal shaft from bracket ??)

Just a quickie, replacing one of my sun visors. Question is......

Does the rod (s) for the visors just pull out of the old visor and push into new ones ???. Mine are really stiff so dont want to get myself into any trouble with the replacement.

Thanks

Robin, they do just pull out, squirt of WD first. They obviously do want to have some resistence, so they dont come down of their own accord.

Cheers Carl

Carl

many thanks

Robin

• 1 year later...

This is a job i need to do as well.

where's the best place to buy a new set of sun visors?

steve

Snap, just received my new visors from Rimmer's

Will look to fit them as well this weekend so this advice was really useful

(normally the advice comes minutes after I have just broken what I was trying to fix :angry::D:D

kc

• 2 weeks later...

The TR6 ones are different to 4/4A. On a 6 the rod goes all the way through the visor so that it can be swivelled round to the side window. On the 4/4A the two rods on each visor are short and no swivelling is allowed. So there's a lot more length to rust on the 6 version, hence it can be a struggle. Twist and pull.

Edited by peejay4A

The TR6 ones are different to 4/4A. On a 6 the rod goes all the way through the visor so that it can be swivelled round to the side window. On the 4/4A the two rods on each visor are short and no swivelling is allowed. So there's a lot more length to rust on the 6 version, hence it can be a struggle. Twist and pull.

The visor pivot rods are made up of 2 pieces for each visor, a long outer one that bolts to the screen frame bracket and a short inner end one that clips in the rubber boot. see catalogue page items 57/58/59 http://tinyurl.com/q7cfgfh Both bits of rod are removable (ha ha) but usually only when new. If you are replacing the visors perhaps destroying the old ones to retrieve the rods is your preferred route. They are virtually the same as Spitfire and GT6 see Newton Commercial. The inner end rod has a knurled section one end to make it bind in the visor.

The visor inner frame is a wire form with a couple of tubes where the rods go in.

If your visors keep drooping try squashing the tube in the visor that the outer rod goes into a touch so it grips the outer mounting rod.

Cheers

Peter W

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

The visor pivot rods are made up of 2 pieces for each visor, a long outer one that bolts to the screen frame bracket and a short inner end one that clips in the rubber boot. see catalogue page items 57/58/59 http://tinyurl.com/q7cfgfh Both bits of rod are removable (ha ha) but usually only when new. If you are replacing the visors perhaps destroying the old ones to retrieve the rods is your preferred route. They are virtually the same as Spitfire and GT6 see Newton Commercial. The inner end rod has a knurled section one end to make it bind in the visor.

The visor inner frame is a wire form with a couple of tubes where the rods go in.

If your visors keep drooping try squashing the tube in the visor that the outer rod goes into a touch so it grips the outer mounting rod.

Cheers

Peter W

Thanks Peter. I wish I had known this before I had started! You are absolutely correct. I managed to pull each visor off - leaving the main half of each spindle on the bracket. But the smaller other half leading to the rubber boot was firmly left in each visor. No amount of pulling or twisting with pliers could get them out and all I managed to to was start taking the metal off the end of the spindle. So the visors are on but only half. I guess I will need to order ome new spindles. Also I noted that the old spindle inside each visor was slightly rusted. Edited by Trigbush