New walnut dash fit in a 4A

Sneeky, I must have missed a trick somewhen..!!!

Hi- I've just used my hot air gun on the old dash I had. I stripped about 6"sq off in about a minute without any damage to the veneer.

The trick is to use just enough heat to lift the lacquer from the surface & gently remove with a thin scraper. Using this method it should take no

more than 20-30 minutes to strip the whole dash. Before I retired I was a carpenter/joiner & cabinet maker & have used this method many

times. I needed to test it first before recommending for this specific application. Proceed carefully & you should have no problems.

regards

Richard

• 1 month later...

As an add on to this topic I have just (successfully) restored my original wood dash...all for the princely sum of a tenner!

I removed the dash and gave it a light sanding.

I managed to buy some oak burr (burl) veneer from ebay for £5.50. Two pieces with a lovely burr pattern. The veneer was not flat so I read that I had to soften it using alcohol, water and Glycerine...4 quid off ebay for the lot. Soaked the veneer in the 'formula' and clamped it for 5 days. It came out lovely and flat. I then used contact adhesive to fix it to my original dash. Then a very light sanding and a heavy coat of lacquer. This was then followed by a further 10 coats of clear automotive lacquer with a really light 'flatting' between each coat.

Imoa it looks fantastic with a lovely glass like finish. Much lighter in colour than the stock walnut dashboards that are available today and the satisfaction that its the original dash that been refurb end.

I would honestly say this is a pretty straightforward job with no real skills involved.....Stuart will 2nd me when I say that i'm rubbish at most jobs but in this job.....just take your time!