Up or down?

Idly browsing my repro glovebox manual for the 4A I noticed that it describes the operation of the overdrive switch as up to engage and down to disengage. On my TR6 it was the other way around. So which is correct?

In Britain, the convention is (and has been for all my lifetime!) that putting a switch down puts on the light, turns on the power and operates the overdrive.

I believe that the Americans do the opposite - but we lost the War of Independence a long time ago, so let them be different!

Ian Cornish

Curious isn't it. The handbook appears to be written for the US market then. Mine will be down to engage when installed. I've also swapped the indicators so that they operate on the left of the column to minimise confusion between the TR and the modern. Now if only I could find my brake flaring tool I'd be able to finish the plumbing.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the o/d switch on the lhs of the steering column! And in this position the o/d is DOWN!

The overdrive stalk has obviously been fitted on the opposite side to normal and as the switch only makes in one direction thats why yours operates downwards, Easily swapped over as long as there is enough slack in the cable if not you will need to slacken off the cable tray under the column. Which side are your indicators?

Stuart.