First long run to Singapore

All,

My TR4A is now registered & taxed, running problems (misfire) fixed and back as the car i remember driving 15+ years ago. These last few months I have only done a few Kilometers whilst I fine-tuned various bits. Then last week at 'short notice'I get a message from our regional car club, the MSVCR: Can I get the car to Singapore to support the driver's parade at next weeks Formula One grand prix??

So, Thursday is the big test, Singapore is about 700km from here, I need to be at the F1 track by 11:30 pm thursday night. Weather this time of year is ~32C with occasional torrential downpours... car is rust-proofed (Candlewax/linseed oil mix sprayed under side), wipers work, lights work, overdrive works...heater works (in the heavy rain I must demist despite the 30+ C cabin temp)....

Keep an eye out for a dark blue TR4A registered PKR1967 at next Sunday's F1 driver's parade......

Tis indeed a long trip Dave. My wife and I were in Penang a couple of weeks ago and went to Georgetown. Absolutely love the place and the locals are great people. We will look you up next time we are there.

Cheers

Tony

take a good quality pen with you and get the glove box signed.

I'm as green as my car. Have a great time.

I'd like to add to my signature collection on the Autocourse 50th Anniversary book. I haven't got a new one for about 3 years now but have collected at various events :

Cliff Allinson

Mario Andretti

Richard Attwood

Rubens Barrichello

Zsolt Baumgartner

Derek Bell

Jack Brabham

David Brabham

Ann Bradshaw

Ross Brawn

Tony Brooks

Martin Brundle

Bernard Cahier

Ivan Capelli

Eddie Cheever

Christian Danner

Martin Donnelly

Piere Dupasquier

Vic Elford

Emerson Fittipaldi

Davina Galicia

Gowden Ganley

Oliver Gavin

Alan Henry

Michael Heseltine

Christian Horner

Tony Jardine

Stefan Johanssen

Jan Lammers

Geoff Lees

David Leslie

Jan Magnusson

Nigel Mansell

Pierre Luigi Martini

Stirling Moss

Jonathan Palmer

Eric vd Poele

Jo Ramirez

Dave Richards

Jim Rosenthal

Elisio Salazar

Michael Schumacher

Bruno Senns

Tony Southgate

Peter Stevens

Helen Stewart

Jackie Stewart

Paul Stoddart

Danny Sullivan

John SUrtees

Keith Sutton

Patrick Tambay

Gabriele Tarquini

Ron Taurenac

Trevor Taylor

Darren Turner

Murray Walker

John Watson

James Weaver

Justin Wilson

David Coulthard

Derek Warwick

Jean Alesi

Double wow,

I've done the road trip both directions betweenn Malaysia and Singapore several times over the last few years - but never in my 4a which has remained firmly in UK. So envious of your trip, the roads etc in malaysia will make a superb run................seriously though, have you got 'added cooling' on the TR ? I think it could be a particular issue around Johor Bahru at the crossing - I've been in massive traffic congestion there with temps of 30+ for an hour or so of near enough static traffic - and that's without the F1 attraction for extra visitors !!

Fantastic, enjoy - and pics by the zillion please..........my 4a is conifer green, and so am I !!

Thinking about long trips to Singapore, anyone who hasn't might like to read "First Overland", the story of the Oxford & Cambridge Far Eastern Expedition that drove two Landies from London to Singapore and back, in 1955! It's a classic, not only the first, but the last to cross from India to Burma via the Ledo (Stillwell) Road, built in WW2 to supply the Chinese.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/First-Overland-London-Singapore-Land-Rover/dp/1904955142

John

Off topic - thanks for that John, now downloaded onto the kindle. Dave, have a great trip, only been to Singapore a few times (and stayed at Raffles before the 'make over', what a great hotel it was with it's faded splendour), fond memories.

Nigel (with TS952)

All,

well the car made it to Singapore without drama. Below is a pic of the car on the Esplanade show area within the F1 area..

TR_at_esplanade_21-9-12-1.jpg

Engine ran smooth, drove at about 65 mph, it took about 7.5 Hrs total travel with a break in KL ... no overheating, temp gauge sat at ~60% of FullScaleDeflection on most roads, when stuck in hot KL traffic (20 mins stationary at 30+C) it rose to 85% of FSD, but not in red a stabilised there .

The_dash_on_the_highway.jpg

My rough calculations suggest fuel economy about 35mpg on the highway...

Stopped-off in KL to take a look at a '66 4A that's for sale, a friend interested to buy.

another_4a.jpg

Well done Dave. See "Nowhere`s far in a TR!"

Stuart.

:);)

Great photos Dave. As many more as you like. Have a great time

Mal

Absolutely great experience. How did the parade go and any photos. The car looks superb and runs beautifully. Well done.

I love SIngapore and Malaysia, makes me think I need to book a holiday.

hope the drive back goes as well.

All,

Well, the weekend is over and the car & driver safely back in Penang....almost without incident!!

On the morning of race day we have to practice our routine, this means driving around the track a few times to get the car speeds & spacing right...some kind of amateur 'formation driving'. As part of that we had to sit on the grid, engines running, for 20-25 mins...simulating the wait for drivers etc (also a bit of a stress test, as actual racetime is far later in the day).

Here's the TR getting a little Hot on the grid:

a_little_hot_at_midday_practice__at_singapore_grand_prix.jpg

In fact three of the cars expired under these conditions...a series one etype with a carburation problem (looked like diaphragm failed in SU HD8), an austin 7 (fouled plugs) and one other..i forget...

We had time to take a few photos before our 'formation laps':

view_from_practice_grid_at_singapore_grand_prix.jpg

Then, we hand around waiting for dusk & the official event...by this time the pitalne is busy with all the 'pit pass' VIPs and the grandstands filling up... we drive up to the grid and find our Grid Girl...I was driving Sauber's Kamui Kobayashi.

grid_girls_at_singapore_grand_prix.jpg

One more gratuitous Grid Girls shot:

grid_girls2_at_singapore_grand_prix.jpg

Then the drivers join us & we quickly set-off.....the crowds can identify the drivers because the cars carry plain signage on the doors giving the driver's name, so there's a lot of shouting from the stands and the protographers..as well as the Marshalls. Kobayashi thought I was crazy to drive 700km in the TR, we discussed Monaco vs Singapore and he clearly felt that Monaco is too elitist and 'normal people' cannot attend...whereas Singapore still quite reasonable with many flights & hotel choices (See you next year, forumers!).

Speed on the track was limited to 40km/h but the whole thing is over in 15 minutes.... then it's a slow drive back around 1 lap back to our little 'showground'...

I'll post a video of the Parade lap in a short time.

The drive back went quite fine, 7 Hrs at 110km/h with 2 fuel stops, heavy rain for the second half of the journey, the convertible top didn't leak, no water over the top of windscreen or doors...no steaming-up inside (i guess because of continuous motion/airflow). Outside of Ipoh, in heavy rain, I lost all power & coasted to a stop... a quick look under the bonnet showed the spade connector on the coil-dizzy wire had broken in half...2 mins with pliers and we were back underway..glad to get off the side of the freeway here, as there are many accidents...this one I passed earlier in the morning: http://thestar.com.m...7204&sec=nation

Best of all, my careful calculation showed 39.9 Miles per (imperial) gallon !

Those of you who've visited Malaysia will know that the road quality is quite good, so this 1400km is not a big deal in terms of robustness of cars...but it's the heat & sunshine which sap the driver's strength (esp with No AC).... but still, as Stuart said, Singapore ain't far in a TR...