Wiper rack tubing - motor to first wheelbox

I hope that's not the case Roger. It seems to me that this is the part of the tubing that needs to be curved as smoothly as possible so as to ensure the least resistance to the rack. I tried to make the one I have fit but it needs a compound curve and it's hard to visualise where the bends should be.

You have some chance to find NOS or used on Ebay. I wouldn't use a straight Moss one if I could help it.

Original Lucas p/n for this tube is 54713140.

If I was bending this I might try it with the rack-spring left in. This way it wont collapse.

If its only the flare thats wrong there is probably just enough length to re-flare it. You dont have to make a perfect flare like a brake-pipe. There is not much pull on the tube.

But it is a funny shape.

Al.

Cheers Al, it's the shape that's bothering me. The one I have is misshaped but the flares are fine. I probably could rebend it but there's only so much trial and error that it will take before becoming kinked to blazes.

If you photograph the bent tube and put it on here so I can see it then it would help me to explain to you how to bend it so that it would fit. I will be able to tell how much bending you need to do.

However in case you cant photgraph it I will explain how I fiited mine.

I put the two wheel-boxes in place with the tube between them

The tube that comes from the motor enters the wheel-box in line with the tube between the wheel-boxes.

Dont fit the motor yet. Dont fit a rubber grommet.

I put the tube through the hole in the bulkhead and rotated it about until the direction into the wheel-box was correct.

Now compare the angle of the tube as it goes into the nut with the hole in the bulkhead. Pretty much the tube comes through perpendicular to the hole in the bulkhead. In other words that funny dented-in plate gives the clue as to the direction that you need the tube to take at the motor end.

It has to curve down about at 3in from the wheel-box to get through the hole. But this would make the angle wrong and you would not do up the nut. So about 2in from the nut end it tips back up a bit so that the nut points at the motor correctly.

Both these bends are quite gentle. 15 degrees or less. You got a kind of very lazy S-shape with the two ends not quite in the same line.

I would probably be able to bend this with my thumbs alone on a new tube. Maybe at the nut end its too close to the end to bend it by hand and I'd slip an extension rod in the end to get a bit of leverage.

If was badly over-bent already then I'd heat to cherry and leave to cool to reduce work-hardening. I would resist the use of any vice or grips or such in case I dented or squashed it.

I might mount a 2in diameter bar in my vice and push the tube around it. But only after I'd tried just by hand.

Al.

• 7 years later...

I have a similar problem with my motor to wheel-box tube. Mine must have sheared off at the wheel-box end at some time in its' life but there is no sign of the flange inside the wheel-box. If anyone knows the precise length of the tube it would help (if I need to order one) and any pics showing the curves would be extremely useful

Andy

1 hour ago, Ocheye said:

I have a similar problem with my motor to wheel-box tube. Mine must have sheared off at the wheel-box end at some time in its' life but there is no sign of the flange inside the wheel-box. If anyone knows the precise length of the tube it would help (if I need to order one) and any pics showing the curves would be extremely useful

Andy

The first tube is available part number AAU1909A

Stuart.

18 hours ago, stuart said:

The first tube is available part number AAU1909A

Stuart.

Is this definitely the same size and curve as it appears to be listed for a mk 3 mini here. http://www.minispares.com/product/Classic/AAU1909A.aspx

On enquiry this would appear to be 203mm long whereas mine is (best guess) 235mm

Andy

Edited by Ocheye
1 hour ago, Ocheye said:

Is this definitely the same size and curve as it appears to be listed for a mk 3 mini here. http://www.minispares.com/product/Classic/AAU1909A.aspx

On enquiry this would appear to be 203mm long whereas mine is (best guess) 235mm

Andy

I dont have one to hand so why not ring Moss and ask?

Stuart.

Andy,

Currently there is a set of TR6 rack tubes on EBay with a Buy it Now price of £38.95, I can’t find the item number but the seller is “948s”.

Graham

Guys 

Here are some not very good photos of a rack and tubing from a TR4 - rushing about today a bit so no time to do a proper measuring job, but can do if photos are not good enough when I have a bit more time.

Should hopefully help

Cheers Rich

IMG_2246 Resized.JPG

IMG_2247 Resized.JPG

IMG_2248 Resized.JPG

Really helpful photos Richard, many thanks.

Just one question, picture one, showing teh tube that goes from Wiper motor to first wheelbox, can see the

radius clearly, can you just tell me is the tube flat, i.e. only curved in one plane?

John.

22 hours ago, John Morrison said:

Really helpful photos Richard, many thanks.

Just one question, picture one, showing teh tube that goes from Wiper motor to first wheelbox, can see the

radius clearly, can you just tell me is the tube flat, i.e. only curved in one plane?

John.

John - no it isn't flat but that isn't to say someone hasn't bent mine at some point in the past - I took it out of a bulkhead I was stripping out which hadn't been accident damaged and I don't recall bending it to take it out so it could be the original shape.

Some more photos of the first bit next to the motor to try and show the curves but as you can see, I'm no David Bailey!

Hopefully it will help a bit

Cheers  Rich

IMG_2253 Resized.JPG

IMG_2254 Resized.JPG

IMG_2255 Resized.JPG