Nos TR5 PI Badges

Yes I would be happy with that for the front badge (more likely to get chipped (or nicked) not sure if I would pay that for the rear two but OK if othes would so count me in for at least front.

CHeers

I really doubt the £97 option will compare favourably to the ones TRF would supply <_< . This is fine, unless of course you happen to encounter one of theirs on another car ^_^

I saw the PDE ones at Beaulieu and thought they were NOS... They had my money in a flash and I am not disappointed after fitting them.

Hi all,i am happy with £97 per badge,but with all the different opinions on here,i am confused .

Will these be an exact copy of the originals....if so, well done that man.

Conrad.

I saw the PDE ones at Beaulieu and thought they were NOS... They had my money in a flash and I am not disappointed after fitting them.

A hi res photo would be nice to resolve the issue of how they compare - unless they're they're the same as TRFs they won't be as good. A sample TR250 badge can be " borrowed " from TRF for inspection purposes; this will convince doubters.

Hi Tom That's a good idea, I think that PDE has a 250 badge as well. Perhaps it would be good to get hold of both then make a comparison.

A question to you Tom - import tax, I guess that there would be a an additional amount on the approximate $200 offered by TLF to import from the US to europe?

Andy

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All

Assuming the prices are 'reasonable' (whatever that means) I would be up for 2 sets, both front and back

Regards

Rob

Ive just bought a TR250 badge and had it sent over from TRF - it was about £100 but the quality is great - what I didnt bargain on is a note from Customs and Excise charging me the VAT, and then a charge from the post office (£8) for managing the shipment - this added £26 to the cost. Should have realised about the VAT but factor it in with your costings!!

Edited by Blackgold

Hi everyone, Thanks for that info blackgold - just as i suspected. I have now gone back to TRF asking for a FIRM price all inclusive of any other costs and I am now waiting for a reply. Please watch this space. Regards Andy

• 1 month later...

Hi all.

Am I missing something here ? It has all gone very quiet for nearly 3 months.

Any updates available ?

If my memory serves me right Roy Chamberlain, GL in Kent I think, had some

badges made yonks ago. Are you still around, Roy ?

Cheers

Rob

Hi Rob, Yes you are correct it does seem to have faltered somewhat. I am still waiting for a respose from the two parties who manufacture the items. I shall E mail again in due course.

At the moment there are 16 people interested in buying the badges. I have been unable to aquire any badges to compare like for like and therefore I am unable to 'suggest' where to go for the best results. For me though the £97 option sounds the best. I have asked for feedback from everyone concerned and have yet recieve any from the majority of people - you know who you are. So until I have recieved the answers back I can't see a way forward. I shall continue to try and get prices and delivery times. BUT BEFORE any order is placed I will need commitment from those involved in the shape of money. simples!!

I'll monitor this thread as normal.

Cheers Andy

It amuses me how folks tend nowadays to think of Stanpart badges as the Holy Grail . . . .

I was driving a TR5 in 1970/71, the bonnet badge went awol at some stage, it took the local Triumph dealer's partsman 6 attempts to obtain an acceptable badge - the quality of enamelling was cr*p, which he blamed on the factory stock being spares quality remanufactured after TR5 production had ceased. After all, the car was a little more than 2 years old, so it was one third of the distance towards the scrapyard . . . . .

Photos below of a couple of badges which I have to ebay for a pal of my son, I must get round to it ! Stll sealed in the original bags until I opened them to snapshot.

IMG_8779.jpg

IMG_8780.jpg

IMG_8781.jpg

Any observations on the acceptability or otherwise of this pair ? A fair few years old now, although I don't know which repro batch they might have been or from which supplier - I must enquire, he might recall. The quality isn't perfect, but they are not bad, a blind man would be pleased to see 'em. Certainly better than some BL items of 40 years ago !

Cheers,

Alec

Hi Alec

Hmm I dont think those have the quality that is required nowadays. To me they look like the £25 repros that are marketed on Ebay just now.

The ones for sale on Ebay are frankly terrible and TR5 owners don't want to fit those onto cars which have cost too much to restore, or have nasties fitted onto nice cars. Hence this thread.

Yes I had an NOS front badge and it wasn't perfect so I kept it back and had 2 originals fronts sent to PDE for "re-doing" and they came back looking perfect but after fitting one on X755 the enamel shrunk back after about 3 months leaving it looking like the Himalayas so I fitted the second one and it worked. You also have to be careful with PDE ones in that they remove the rear pins in process and then re-instate when done. Now they do warn you that this means the pins might not line up with the original holes and thats correct ..... they didn't. Not a big job but fussy and awkward. far better to have reproductions done properly and to an original production standard I think.

All the best

Alan

The enamel should be flush with the chrome; it is on the TRF badges and was pretty much so on the originals ( speaking from TR250 badge experience only ).

As for a sample, I am pretty sure TRF will accept return of a '250 badge if they don't have to cover postage. Simple enough, and I'll bet the price of one that it will persuade all comers of its excellence and worthiness for their example.

Again, a TRF '250 badge:

TRIALSTR250BADGE.jpg

Hi Andy & Alec

Thanks. Keep up the good work, please. I'm ready and happily willing (ok, I exaggerate a bit) to

part with my hard earned cash in favour of some decent badges. And note that Alec's awaited

garage clearout has started...

Regards

Rob

These are repros of some time back, and certainly not the calibre of good originals. But as previously observed, some BL products were better than others, not all nos is worth paying good money for . . . . stock that lay in a dealer's store for years probably did so for a good reason, as in reject quality for example.

I've no idea what's been on ebay in badges of late, but I did see some singularly rough and ready repro TR5 offerings at Malvern, better suited to a Triang pedal car than a TR. At least these things are halfway reasonable, and a darn sight better than no badge at all, but agreed if you're spending £50K on a concours restoration you don't want anything less than perfect finishing touches. Perfect doesn't come within everyone's budget, though.

I did source some costs from an excellent German maker of enamel badges in the late 90s, but at the time they would have charged something over £100 apiece ex-factory on a minimum 100 of each type. Add in the rest of the costs of getting a small batch made and it all became prohibitive - there wasn't the market for a pair of TR5 badges at £300 the pair.

Cheers

Alec

Hi all.

Am I missing something here ? It has all gone very quiet for nearly 3 months.

Any updates available ?

If my memory serves me right Roy Chamberlain, GL in Kent I think, had some

badges made yonks ago. Are you still around, Roy ?

Cheers

Rob

Yes i am still hear ROY 53

Have been reading this and keeping quiet,as people seemed to be missing the original point of the repro badges.

I won't bore with the full history of the badge saga but after losing the badge from my car and having to pay £250 for a bonet badge i wasn't keen on losing it again .So an add was put in traction which ended with 30 tr5 owners pledging to buy full sets of the repro badges.after 2 years of trying to locate original tooling/maker even a member in the far east trying to find a maker we hit basically a brick wall.It was then that Gary Bates of TR GB came to the rescue having found a maker .He had to give them a perfect bonnet badge with the enamel removed which was painfull .But as i had the 30 TR5 owners who had paid up front £25 for a full set of the 3 TR5 badges he thankfully went ahead. We therefor had a full set of repro badges,Now the point of this was that we could fit a set of badges to our cars and put the originals away safe and therefor park anywhere and if the badge collectors came along it would not be so painful.OK not perfect on the enamel part but the best we could manage at that time which are still being produced. No one complained at the time.

Roy Chamberlain

Things have moved on since Roy and as I stated earlier the repro's nowadays are quite frankly terrible and very few owners buy these or want to fit them either. Far better to have a superb looking repro that people want to fit to their cars. Yes you have to pay extra but "doesn't quality always cost" ? If TR5 owners out there feel they are too dear then they wont buy them and thats their loss!

TR5 owners can be very fussy and some are not but of course thats life. Take the TR5 handbook for example? Should and could have been a lot better but like cheap parts it was made and printed cheaply to sell more covers! Compare to an original if you get the chance!

There have been many threads on the quality of parts, or lack of it, on this forum. If people want quality then they will have to pay for it, not moan when they pay decent money for some wishy washy pish made in some Indian or Chinese back street.

I say 3 cheers to Andy (Elclem) for taking the bull by the horns and trying to get something done on the badge front (and rear if you excuse the pun).

Just my tuppenny rant and all that

Alan