TR3A - Dynamo Fan Loose

Yes, I know, "dynamo" isn't a word that you hear very often these days. I just think it is way too cool not to use.

Duryea_2012-2501.jpg

Seriously, on the way home from FALLFEST 2012,this past Saturday, the Grey Lady was running great, and I was enjoying the open air motoring until I reached the NJ - PA bridge across the Delaware River.

Please allow me to deviate for the benefit of my British mates. This place is called "Washington's Crossing" and is famous. Washington's crossing of the Delaware River, which occurred on the night of December 25–26, 1776, during the American Revolutionary War, was the first move in a surprise attack organized by General George Washington against the Hessian forces in Trenton, New Jersey on the morning of December 26. Planned in partial secrecy, Washington led a column of Continental Army troops across the icy Delaware River in a logistically challenging and dangerous operation. Other planned crossings in support of the operation were either called off or ineffective, but this did not prevent Washington from surprising and defeating the troops of Johann Rall quartered in Trenton. The army crossed the river back to Pennsylvania, this time burdened by prisoners and military stores taken as a result of the battle. Washington's army then crossed the river a third time at the end of the year, under conditions made more difficult by the uncertain thickness of the ice on the river. They defeated British reinforcements under Lord Cornwallis at Trenton on January 2, 1777, and defeated his rear guard at Princeton on January 3, before retreating to winter quarters in Morristown, New Jersey. Every Christmas morning, weather permitting this crossing is reenacted by a group of history buffs. it''s a real hoot to witness this event with this guys, sometimes a bit inebriated, in authentic garb, etc!

Thank you for indulging my need to quote history.

I had slowed down for the E-Z Pass lane and was beginning to accelerate when a horrible shrill sound started. It reminded me of the noise made by a slipping power-steering belt. As soon as I had the opportunity I pulled off the road and popped the bonnet. I also noticed that the engine vital signs were normal, temp approx. 180F and oil pressure at 50psi.

With the engine at idle the sound was somewhat less, so I goosed the carb linkage and the sound became louder and now sounded more like shaking a tin can filled with loose nuts and bolts. I turned off the engine and had a closer look. So, I figured I should focus on the rotating parts because the noise got louder as engine speed increased. I checked the fan belt tension - OK. However when looking closely at the dynamo, I noticed that the fan was free to rotate. WTF? Now, how could that be, and aside from the noise, what would be the consequence of running without the benefit of fan cooling?

So, let me ask, has anyone experienced this problem. I have not been able to find a good drawing showing how the fan is secured. It appears that the fan is sandwiched between a step in the shaft and the pulley. Should there be a key way in the fan hole? None of my Lucas docs show a dynamo with a fan attached, so I assume that this feature was optional.

Anyone have a solution?

Thanks in advance, Frank

There should be a woodruff key in the shaft that locates the fan. Very often they have been badly fitted and or the cutout in the fan where it locates has enlarged.

Stuart.

Washington . . . . . wasn't he a revolutionary terrorist, sort of 18th Century O'George Bin Raidin' ? :P

History depends on the perception of the gentle reader . . . . ;)

Cheers,

Alec

Ha, Ha, Ha. But of course! It depends on your point of view!!!

washington.jpg

OK, What did I do with that SatNav

Edited by angelfj