Registration and the DVLA!!

Having successfully got my TR4 through the MOT yesterday after 3 years of restoration work, I thought a trip to my local DVLA office in Inverness might be fun(!?) in order to register the car.

The vehicle was imported by Robsport in 1999 and was sold soon afterwards to the owner before me. He really didn't do a great deal with the car and I bought it in 2009.

I turned up at the DVLA office armed with MOT, Insurance Certificate, Form V55/5, the import document, my current driving licence and of course the required £55 fee.

I was the told I needed a photograph of the car, a photograph of the Commission Plate and (wait for it) a pencil rubbing of the Commission plate.

I have never heard of this requirement before and it presented me with a challenge as I haven't done any rubbing (no sniggering!) since I was at school some 50 or more years ago.

So, returning to the DVLA office, some 11 miles distant, I duly presented my masterpiece pencil rubbing only to be told 'It's not very clear'. Of course it's not very clear, the plate is 48 years old!

So far I have not heard from them, and as they have my telephone number, I am hopeful that this is a good sign.

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Geoff

I must be the exception !

My TR4 was an American import with correct documentation.

After full restoration I duly took the car for the MOT and then as requested sent it off with the fee, forms, 3 photographs of the car, engine number and chassis plate plus a copy of the heritage certificate.

I had all this returned to me in under a week with a period registration number a revised MOT certificate now showing this plus a form allowing me to get the number plates made and a letter telling me the registration document would follow.

The registration document arrived in a second envelope in the same post.

All completed through the Cardiff DVLA office with one phone call and one package of info.

Neil

Just to bring things up to date, registration number, tax disc and plate authorisation letter arrived on the 3rd day after visiting the local DVLA office!

Pretty good response; and they didn't want to see the car!

After my initial response to their requirements, I must now eat humble pie and tip my hat to their efficiency.

Geoff