What are these (aero screens) ?

This is the second time this eBay auction has been posted and while these are not the original aeroscreens as I know them they are not the same as the current repro screens from Moss. They are very similar however.

The Moss repro's have "Brooklands" embossed on the frame while these have "Aero Screen".

Was there an earlier repro aero screen and is this an example ?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TRIUMPH-TR-3-MG-ORIGINAL-CLASSIC-BRITISH-SPORTS-CAR-AEROSCREENS-VERY-RARE-/150888601271?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2321a956b7&vxp=mtr

Stan

There is a TR owner in England (Tom Maddock) who has developed an aeroscreen that looks like the original ones from S-T.

These have a rubber strip aolng the bottom (like on the full-sized windscreen frame. This is to keep the air and rain from blowing under the Brooklands type or the ones you noted above. Also, the ones from S-T and the Tom's repros have only two attachment bolts per scren as for the original TR2s, TR3s and some of the TR3As. The Brooklands require you to drill 8 holes to secure them into place.

The original ones could be left mounted with the full windscreen attached as well. I can't say for the Brooklands.

I have two addresses for Tom. One may work. Good luck - keep us up to date on what you find or decide. Here we can see some of his protoypes from 2008.

ukz3man@blueyonder.co.uk

ukz3man@yahoo.com

There is a TR owner in England (Tom Maddock) who has developed an aeroscreen that looks like the original ones from S-T.

These have a rubber strip aolng the bottom (like on the full-sized windscreen frame. This is to keep the air and rain from blowing under the Brooklands type or the ones you noted above. Also, the ones from S-T and the Tom's repros have only two attachment bolts per scren as for the original TR2s, TR3s and some of the TR3As. The Brooklands require you to drill 8 holes to secure them into place.

The original ones could be left mounted with the full windscreen attached as well. I can't say for the Brooklands.

I have two addresses for Tom. One may work. Good luck - keep us up to date on what you find or decide. Here we can see some of his protoypes from 2008.

ukz3man@blueyonder.co.uk

ukz3man@yahoo.com

Thanks Don. I actually have a set of the Moss repro's which are pretty nice once you throw away the pedestals and use Peter's adapters. My question was just curiosity about the origin's of these items on eBay. Tom did a nice job though.

Stan

AeroScreen were a copy of the Brooklands items, and not an improvement on them either. I have a pair of each make and the Brooklands are a better construction.

Recently there has been what looks like pressure die cast 'Brooklands' and 'AeroScreen' product arriving on the market. I saw both types at Malvern this year. The frame has a nicer finish than the older original cast items. I would guess they might be Chinese made items rather than the old low pressure or sand cast things made in GB by Derrington or Kimble all those years ago.

link http://www.johnkimble.co.uk/tbas.htm

Kimble says their product has a die cast frame.

Cheers

Peter W

Stan/Don,

What Tom Maddock was selling a couple of years ago was a replica stand that fitted onto the Brooklands type aeroscreen with a single bolt hole that corresponds with the original scuttle bolts on an early car. When polished they look like the real thing but are of alloy not chromed brass. He also was able to supply the correct shaped glass as the Brookland one is wrong for a sidescreen car.

He advised me that the Brooklands frame could be filed and squared off at the bottom where the upright joins bottom (with Brooklands cast into the frame) The originals were defined 90 degree shape not the semi circle on the Brooklands ones and the glass was much higher with a more circular profile.

I seem to remember about a year ago a new original went for upwards of £1000. IMHO they were not the prettiest of things. Have a set from Tom and they do look good, just the glass to change.

Rgds

Rod

Edited by Rodbr
  • 6 months later...

I've tried several times too, he did promise to sell me a set but I have not heard anything for a year, but I found a guy in USA who makes a set of racing screens, they are not like the Brooklands set:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Triumph-TR-2-and-TR-3-Factory-Option-Aero-Screens-/321059642501?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4ac0a55c85&vxp=mtr

They look quite nice!

Cheers,

Esben

I've tried several times too, he did promise to sell me a set but I have not heard anything for a year, but I found a guy in USA who makes a set of racing screens, they are not like the Brooklands set:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Triumph-TR-2-and-TR-3-Factory-Option-Aero-Screens-/321059642501?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4ac0a55c85&vxp=mtr

They look quite nice!

Cheers,

Esben

The ebay in the US item look like something Amco would have produced for the USA domestic market.

Peter W

They look quite nice!

Cheers,

Esben

Well, actually... I like 'm! In fact, they make the Brooklands look soooo out of period! These B'lands used to be mountained on cars in the 30s. The plexis are much more 50s and 60s. And, at a better price than the Brooklands. I'm not sure about the s/steel feet under the screens. Somehow, they look like they're not up to the job and are easily bend backwards when the wind hits the screens. Or am I wrong?

Btw, did you see the seller's other listings?

Menno

Edit: did you see the dashboard on that car? There's an extra gauge on the LH side of the dash. Looking through his other listings, there's a similar gauge for sale: a replica gauge for a Judson supercharger. Makes you wonder what's under the bonnet of that TR...

M.

Edited by Menno van Rij

I am still doing the conversion feet,just been very busy lately.I should have my TR3 on the road in the next few days and then I can get another batch of the conversion mountings made.@ £35.00 per screen.

I have a limited production batch of 30 chrome on brass replica screens ready to go to the chromers and when these are sold there will be no more

There are still one or two of the aluminium replica screens available @£300. and again when these are gone there will be no more

Best way to contact me is bty phone in the evenings 01952 603800

• 4 years later...

Can anyone point me to a source for Aero Screens that will bolt directly onto my TR3A? Thanks

The TR3A (at least the ones after 60K commission number) did not have provision for the aeroscreens so there are a couple of options. The modern repro aero screens as sold by Moss etc look pretty nice but by design they get attached to the scuttle with sheet metal screws. If you have an earlier car that has the cage nuts for the aeroscreens there is a forum member that makes some very nice pedestals that are designed to work with the the standard scuttle mounts and the repro screens.

During my resto project of a later car I retrofitted the cage nuts under the scuttle and used Peter W's pedestals for a look that was closer to the originals.

Stan

I was able to buy 2 aeroscreens for the tr2/3 over the last period.

If those on ebay were the same the price of 330 a set is a real bargain. i cant see the pictures in the ad anymore.

heres a link to the post inn my restoration blog:

http://www.tr-register.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/42421-rebuilding-my-tr2-after-accident/page-12&do=findComment&comment=455769

i have them fitted in combination with the windscreen which works quite well. Love to drive with only aeroscreen fitted !

during the loverly weekend of jabbeke reunion. i'm on the third position:

Supporting-TRs-as-far-as-the-eye-can-see

@Edwin.

I like the look of the singe aero as well.

I was just wondering how you got out of your car... :)

I am a new (this week) '58 TR3A owner so appreciate the education. Were these a factory option? What is the difference between Aero, Brooklands and How do they install? Any issues removing full windscreen? Thanks ! SR

Edited by scottdr

@Edwin.

I like the look of the singe aero as well.

I was just wondering how you got out of your car... :)

I think you mean the first car Mvc575 !?

In the third.

Just using My door ;)

Mvc is tricky.. was able to get behind the wheel But it took Some time and a little step ;)

I think you mean the first car Mvc575 !?

In the third.

Just using My door ;)

Mvc is tricky.. was able to get behind the wheel But it took Some time and a little step ;)

Hey Edwin! You're supposed to be nimble and flexible at your age???? I'd have expected more of an athletic vault straight in behind the wheel ????.

(some may need a crane - rather like King Henry VIII mounting his charger in full armour ????)

I am a new (this week) '58 TR3A owner so appreciate the education. Were these a factory option? What is the difference between Aero, Brooklands and How do they install? Any issues removing full windscreen? Thanks ! SR

Aeroscreens were a factory option. The original design had a taller screen than the repro's but the repro "Brooklands" brand are pretty nice and fairly inexpensive. The only problem is they need to be attached with sheet metal screws unless you use Peter W's adapters which are excellent. The early cars have holes in the scuttle with cage nuts underneath. When there are no aeroscreens fitted the holes have a chromed domed bolt in them to trim them out. You can fit the aeroscreens behind the windscreen, ie have both installed at the same time.

Early windscreens are attached to the scuttle with Dzus fasteners. The later cars with no provision for aeroscreens have bolts instead of the dzus. Both are fairly easy to remove when needed but best done with a helper in order to not scratch/ding the scuttle when you are lifting it on and off.

Back in the day the idea was that you would rive to the race track with the windshield on, remove it at the track for a days racing with the aeroscreens and then re-fit the windscreen for the ride home.

Of course you also need the outfit like Edwin.

Stan

Back in the day the idea was that you would rive to the race track with the windshield on, remove it at the track for a days racing with the aeroscreens and then re-fit the windscreen for the ride home.

Stan

Not so much "back in the day" ????

That's how I run mine in the TR champs early start arrive at track remove tools, spare wheel, windscreen fit aeroscreens, numbers and have a go. Then at the end of the day undo what you did in the morning and drive home.

Great fun if a little tiring.

H

Nice pic Hamish!

Enough talk of aeroscreens....still trying to wean Ben's wife off the idea????

I used to have a pair of aeroscreens - they were great ! (sorry Ben)

Bob.

Now look here Bob......we could fall out you know ????????????