@ Louis,

Here: http://www.tr-regist...showtopic=36939

------------------------------------------------------------

@ Peter:

So, basically what you're saying is, that the thicker bars do not restrict the airflow and that it all comes down to the radiator duct. I agree with you about the duct, but since a 3A's cooling is marginally, every cubic inch of free flowing air is welcome, I think. I've even read about rally shields in front of the grill, restricting the airflow.

Please correct me when I'm wrong.

Menno

@ Menno,

My point with the cooling is that getting all the air going in the right place is an excellent starting point.

I agree less obstruction like the grille bars will help, but getting the air to go through the radiator rather than round it is a more important starting point for cooling.

The radiator duct in the TR3A does exactly that by channelling the air into the radiator.

I have not done it but I would guess the TR2 grille has a smaller potential airflow than a repro TR3A grille. - All we need is a quick measure and calculation done here.

I have neither TR2 nor repro TR3A grille to check. Perhaps someone out there could help and we could prove or disprove the the effective airflow potential of the repro TR3A grille against an original TR2. - We can all see the repro has smaller airflow possibility than a genuine TR3A. Although it would also be nice to know the percentage flow obstruction the repro presents compared to a genuine TR3A.

Cheers

Peter W

Early TR2 grill aperture is obviously smaller but all the frontal airflow is directed due to the shape of the mouth straight through the radiator itself. i.e. in effect like the cardboard deflector achieves. This was actually too effective and wasnt allowing enough air to get to the carbs hence on the later TR2 & TR3`s the top section of the mouth aperture had two cutouts to allow air to flow into the engine bay to provide cooler air to the carbs.

Stuart.

I think I read somewhere that the TR3A grill arrangement wasn't as effective as the 2/3 one and that the cars overheated in the North American market. The cardboard duct was a swift and easily fitted cure. Presumably it mimicked the earlier design and stopped air passing rather than going through the radiator.

Sorry Stuart, simultaneous post.

Edited by Ashley James

Hi Menno ~

I modified my grille to make the bars as narrow as possible. My grille is now like yours. It's also important that the

air scoop is fitted behind the grille. I made mine from aluminium and I alaso included a metal section above the scoop to make sure the air goes through the radiator and not over the top of it. Just look at the air intake on a TR2.

If you'd like a photo. of my scoop please PM me your email address.

Tom.

Tom

you have a PM.

Dave