A few weeks ago the wife borrowed the TR to go out with her mate for a beer. On return she reported that the car lost power on the hills and she barely made it home.

I drove the car the next day and it was all ok do I put it down to her driving!

Well tonight I took the car out for a spin and the same fault occurred. It felt like the car was only running on two going up a steep hill.

When I got the car home I started checking the fuel system and lo and behold the pump is spraying fuel all over the side of the engine.

Once stripped, the fault was the brand new diaphragm I fitted a month ago had split.

It actually looks like the sodding thing has been made incorrectly as the shape compared to the old one was upside down and the metal carrier for the spring was on the fuel side. Luckily I'd kept the old one and fitted that. The car even idles a little better now.

I'm going to stop buying new stuff as I always seem to have problems with new parts failing.

Now I have to appologise to the wife for saying she's a **** driver!!

Paul

A few weeks ago the wife borrowed the TR to go out with her mate for a beer. On return she reported that the car lost power on the hills and she barely made it home.

I drove the car the next day and it was all ok do I put it down to her driving!

Well tonight I took the car out for a spin and the same fault occurred. It felt like the car was only running on two going up a steep hill.

When I got the car home I started checking the fuel system and lo and behold the pump is spraying fuel all over the side of the engine.

Once stripped, the fault was the brand new diaphragm I fitted a month ago had split.

It actually looks like the sodding thing has been made incorrectly as the shape compared to the old one was upside down and the metal carrier for the spring was on the fuel side. Luckily I'd kept the old one and fitted that. The car even idles a little better now.

I'm going to stop buying new stuff as I always seem to have problems with new parts failing.

Now I have to appologise to the wife for saying she's a **** driver!!

Paul

Paul: Just curious, why did you replace the diaphragm in the first place? Don Elliott (another Canadian - Montreal) who is also a member here, complained about diaphragm failures after using ethanol blend fuel during the 2007 VTR convention here in PA. Once he returned home to Canada and resumed with ethanol-free fuel his problems were resolved.

I changed it as the one fitted looked like it could be the fifty year old original. In an attempt to improve reliability I though I'd fit a new one before the old one died somewhere inconvenient.

This failure was not ethanol related. The diaphragm was incorrectly assembled resulting in it tearing from the central spindle.

Paul

Ethanol free needed? I'm in trouble...they only sale corn gas here in Florida....

I usually use Shell in my daily drivers....

You can always adapt to overcome the problem: installing a Facet electric fuel pump (don't forget to install a cut out switch as well). Virtually all other parts of the TRs fuel system are ethanol resistant, I think.

Menno