Check your hub retaining studs!

post-8813-0-87741300-1345551854_thumb.jpgI should have posted this some time ago. Last year I competed in the Mille Miglia in a 1955 TR2, but only managed 1/3 of the distance as the rear wheel assembly parted company, fortunately at very low speed. This was due to very worn hub studs - see photo.

When replacing the hub and studs I also had the fronts checked and one of these had the same wear.

Following this some members of the Rome TR club checked their cars, some of which had the same problem.

post-8813-0-87741300-1345551854_thumb.jpg

Edited by Barbone

post-8813-0-87741300-1345551854_thumb.jpgI should have posted this some time ago. Last year I competed in the Mille Miglia in a 1955 TR2, but only managed 1/3 of the distance as the rear wheel assembly parted company, fortunately at very low speed. This was due to very worn hub studs - see photo.

When replacing the hub and studs I also had the fronts checked and one of these had the same wear.

Following this some members of the Rome TR club checked their cars, some of which had the same problem.

Would that have been No. 222 entered by Peter Cox?

Cheers,

Frank

If you look closely at the photo you will notice that:

- the loose studs shown are not original type

- there appears to be remnants of weld around the holes

Could these modifications have contributed to the failure?

Wornparts2.jpg

Yes the 2 hubs with faulty studs had been welded at the back - somehing that I am told is not uncommon.

This TR2 had spent much of its life in the States before returning to Blighty and this may have been done there.

Before the MM I spent a very large amount of cash having the car fully checked by a classic car "expert" who replaced the rear oil seals and should therefore have noticed the fault, very apparent on the front hub.

Yes the 2 hubs with faulty studs had been welded at the back - somehing that I am told is not uncommon.

This TR2 had spent much of its life in the States before returning to Blighty and this may have been done there.

Before the MM I spent a very large amount of cash having the car fully checked by a classic car "expert" who replaced the rear oil seals and should therefore have noticed the fault, very apparent on the front hub.

Barbone: The expert missed something, I believe! caveat emptor! Glad that you weren't injured!!