Full rebuilt engine(95 or super unleaded)

Hi there,ive just had my engine fully rebuilt,top and bottom.The engineer said that it seems to be pinking slightly,and now ive got to do the running in bit,not above 3000rpm,max70mph.He said it may have something to do with distributor or may just need running on super unleaded,so what would you envisage it to be,and is it necessary to run it on superunleaded,any tips will come in handy as im off to put a few hundred miles on it tomorrow around glorious Wales,cheers.

shell Vtech makes a big difference i find it fine 2100 on my rebuilt engine

ran to lemans and malvern great

needs tuning properly now though

cheers

I'll second that (although it's VPower not Vtech) - it's 98RON which is about as close to 5-star as you're going to get. Also I believe it's only 5% ethanol & Shell have no plans to increase it.

Tesco super (99 RON) is OK once in a while IMO.

Amazing the difference between fuels - I run my daily driver on Vpower but had to put in Esso Supreme (97) when there was a local shortage a few weeks ago and the mid-range acceleration was way down from normal. Back on Vpower and no probs.

Hi there,ive just had my engine fully rebuilt,top and bottom.The engineer said that it seems to be pinking slightly,and now ive got to do the running in bit,not above 3000rpm,max70mph.He said it may have something to do with distributor or may just need running on super unleaded,so what would you envisage it to be,and is it necessary to run it on superunleaded,any tips will come in handy as im off to put a few hundred miles on it tomorrow around glorious Wales,cheers.

retard the ignition a bit, with the vernier, i use morrisons or any one else cheap unleaded and no problems after 8 years.

richard

Edited by rpurchon

My engine builder Maynard Motorsport said use Shell V POWER. Thats all Ive used in 1000 miles of Le Mans, malvern and other long trips. Perfect apart from a dodgy injector.

Steve

I use Shell V-Powere whenever I can get it - certainly seems to run a tad better that 'cheaper' stuff. Only use 95RON stuff if Super-Unleaded is not avaialble. I used to use Tesco's 99RON fuel until fairly recently - I was finding that i wasn't running very well on it at all for some reason after generally good experiences with it...

As noted above, there certainly seems to be noticable differences between suppliers...

Cheers

Ian

Edited by ianhoward

Shell V Power for sure. I try and plan visits to Shell sites. Remember to vary you speed a bit, not constant 70 on motorway - by speed I mean revs.

Talk to the engine builder about the re torque and try and get it set up on a rolling road.

Well i filled up with £61 shell v power and got 200 miles out of it,no pinking.Whilst in the depths of Wales filled up with 95ron,no pinking.But being as i was only revving to 2500 rpm and max speed 65mph im not sure whether i would of got any pinking up in the higher rev range.300 miles done,i will get another 300 miles on it and get everything checked over,torqued up etc,and try both fuels again and feel for any differences,on the fantastic north Wales roads inc the evo triangle,what a superb 20 mile loop.

The TR6 engine was, I understand, designed to run on the then available 100 octane fuel. Shell V-Power with a 99 octane rating is the closest fuel currently available to the fuel available in the 60's & 70's. I run my 6 on it and have had no fuel-related problems. If I switch to another brand, most of which have a 97 rating, the engine runs less smoothly and suffers running on. In my experience, V-Power is the one to use.

Jim

+1 on v power.

Lower octane does need ignition retard and seems to make the slight knock when snapping open the throttle more prevalent.

Tim

I used to use Vpower but stopped when they started to put ethanol in it :angry:

I use Esso Super Runs well and there is no Ethanol in it :P;)

• 3 weeks later...

This is interesting.

Me thinks I am going to give "Shell" a go,

I do not have any particular problems,

I usually use BP 97 octane in "Trixie",

(Brand loyality, a dangerous thing, Apparently)

Nectar Points!!!!!!!

(but the fuel costs more, aaaaaaaaaaah)

But I have noticed a slight difference in the driving expieriece after different fill ups,

From different retailers,

I put a Shot of Redex injector cleaner in with each fill up?

anyone else do anything similar,

I have noticed reduced injector foul ups since doing this,

but now and again still get one,

and the funny thing is its always number two?

memo to self, look at this "Doh"

hmmmmmmmmm.

You would think as an injector wears,

there is a bit more room for the c--p to get through!

nes par?

Oh oh oh, just rememered something,

I had the engine completely rebuit this year,

and they told me that although the engine and all ancillaries are now unleaded compatible,

if I plan on doing a long "Motorway" journey I should still put lead additive in?

why??????

I have not done it,

but then I never put her on a Motorway for more than an hour!

any comments on this?

Tally ho,

Juice.