"TR3 American Tour of Europe 1957"

Has this been posted before?

http://www.britishpathe.com/video/americans-collect-their-triumph-cars

Looks like rushes from Pathe coverage of this event.

I don't know where the lady in the fur stole thinks she's going.

Some other more suitbaly dressed ladies, esp. one with a very short heairstyle for 1957.

Who she, if anyone know?

Sent to me by my US friend Mike Bulfer.

John

Seen it before, if I remember correct, it was part of a marketing campaign for american buyers: buy a tr and collect it yourself from the factory, including a trip through Europe.

Many cars suffered from broken gearboxes, the buyers were used to automatic and suddenly crossed the Alps (sometimes in snow) in manual gearbox cars...

My favourite bit is the man who tries and fails to close the boot (trunk) lid by giving it a push. Then, after discovering it is held up with a crude prop appears to need assistance with getting that to work. One wonders how many of the people in the film - assuming they are not all actors - kept their cars for very long. The change from boulevard cruiser culture may have been quite a shock for the unsuspecting. I'll bet there was a fair segment of the U.S. open car market that found the TR far too unrefined for their taste.

The car with spats is interesting since most sources state that particular option was discontinued very early on. Perhaps not. Perhaps it was just that hardly anyone bought them.

Nick

Spats were available to the end of TR3 production in 1957, though indeed very rarely specified latterly, and no, they could not be fitted when wire wheels were used....as to the USA TR tours of Europe, they ran from this one , in 1957, to 1962 , when the TR4 was used of course....the '57 one was the best documented, with the excellent Farnk Callaby film....lots more about it in my "Triumph by Name" book ......BP

Yes Stan, it is Tha Bull at Gerrards Cross, it is still there but has been extended several times since this film was taken. It use to be a cosy Pub but is now large multi national Hotel and conference centre. When I was a child my parents and I used to get a green line bus to The Bull and that was the start of a beautiful and long country walk back home accross the fields via Denham, Iver, Cowley etc. This walk is not possible now as the M25 (The road to Hell) intersects the route in several places.