Hi,

I have just bought a TR7 with a V8 modification. When they did the mod they left the air intake scoop off. After speaking to Rimmer bros they informed me this is the norm when fitting the V8 as there isn't enough room. Trouble is the inside of my car is filling with fumes from the engine bay. I cobbled up a cardboard scoop and the difference whilst driving around was incredible, I could even put the fan on.

Picture attached.

Any tips please?

post-11317-0-19474800-1344254597_thumb.jpg

post-11317-0-19474800-1344254597_thumb.jpg

With that carb induction manifold you shouldn't have much of a trouble fitting the original fresh air unit.

(It's quite another thing if it had been the hot wire efi inlet plenum there - then some fabrication is necessary.)

You go try fitting a standard one, and should there be any (smaller) fitting issue

- the fresh air plenum unit can usually be 'persuaded' to fit with the aid of a suitable hammer...

Edited by Odd

Chris looking at your picture you should have no problem fitting the original air scoop.

I have a 14" pancake filter fitted on top of a 650 edelbrock carb and then under the rear of the filter and air scoop are the 2 coil packs for the megajolt ignition system.

I have to say the filter has to be removed first before the scoop comes off.

I fettled the scoop slightly as i didnt want the plug leads touching the scoop. I would post a picture but can not make it small enough to fit on the website :(o

Chris looking at your picture you should have no problem fitting the original air scoop.

I have a 14" pancake filter fitted on top of a 650 edelbrock carb and then under the rear of the filter and air scoop are the 2 coil packs for the megajolt ignition system.

I have to say the filter has to be removed first before the scoop comes off.

I fettled the scoop slightly as i didnt want the plug leads touching the scoop. I would post a picture but can not make it small enough to fit on the website :(o

Hi Chris,

S&S used to do a suitably modified scoop, plenum if you prefer, in exchange for your old original unit and a modest bag of shekels. Exchange because new ones have been NLA for decades, and not so easy to come by.

I should have a spare original if needed, and could snapshot the modified unit as comparison.

Cheers,

Alec

• 2 weeks later...

My Grinnall V8 conversion has what might well be the original scoop, judging by its condition and patina(!). It unclipped and clipped back on without any trouble when I was messing about with the carbs and fuel system recently. Happy to post photos if useful.

• 2 weeks later...

post-10526-0-01060700-1346360828_thumb.jpgAh, you possibly could fit an orriginal scoop, but probably not with that battery fitted. I think you will find that most of the others commenting on this topic have their battery to the boot, (or possibly fitted a small battery) My Grinnal came without the scoop too, so I aquired a used scoop, and modified the centre area to get it to clear the injection air box, but then I could not fit it without removing the battery, and of course I could not fit the batery with the scoop in place?? So finally after much head scratching, I cut the scoop in half so I can (with much difficulty) fit it in two parts.

post-10526-0-01060700-1346360828_thumb.jpg

Edited by 2cav8

Just to be clear on this issue any V8 with SU's can be fitted with the std air scoop/plenum without any modification.V8's fitted with a Holley/Webber with a 14 inch filter will need a small mod to the plenum.EFI engines will need more of a bespoke mod to the plenum to fit around that installation.

The battery position has nothing to do with fitting a plenum.

Edited by stevew2
Guest Wayne S

My air scoop was made from an original to fit around an Edelbrock air filter my just simply using a metalworkers hammer carefully to knock the outer lip to form a smooth curve that bends around the filter more steeply. Just requires a bit of care and time and it will look as it should be there plus your rubber seals will still fit. Not a complicated problem to solve!