Anyone using aTR5 as everyday motor?

No reason why not. Far better than leaving them parked up and then having to sort all the associated problems when you do use it. One of the guys that works part time for me uses his 4a as a daily driver.

Stuart.

I know a guy with a 6 and he uses it as his daily, does approx 25k a year in it!

Tom

I like the thought of it,but in the continuos rain and maybe snow and salted roads,i dont think i could afford the bodywork bills....but driving a classic regularly is good for the soul !

Cheers,

Conrad.

I'm using my Alfa Giulia Sprint Speciale as my daily driver now and plan on using my TR5 for my dd once I get it back on the road (hopefully around spring of this coming year). I work out of my house so I don't have a heavy commute in traffic. Frankly, its not reliabilty I worry about its someone in some honking big SUV slamming into me!

Been using classics as my regular daily drivers for the best part of 35 yrs!

Currently,the last 12yrs,its been a 1971 Rover P6V8.

And the 1970 TR6 comes out every weekend and is used for work when I know the weather is going to be good!

• 4 weeks later...

Yup, my 5 is a daily driver, backed up by my 6 as required. Both go out in rain,snow and shine. They are both presentable, reliable working cars. I spent too much time rebuilding these cars to have them put away to form part of my estate for Inheritance Tax purposes one day. As they say, you can't take them with you.

I do appreciate I am really lucky to be able to run around in these cars all week every week, and feel so sorry for a chap in one of the adjacent groups who, after having rebuilt his 5 to immaculate condition over many years is now reluctant to drive it at all due to its valuation result and the fear of damaging it. :(

I've got a driver and a looker, doing 5-7K on the driver annually but not in salted conditions, and only wetted if caught out. Makes more sense to use a 6 daily as the body bits are more available, as are whole cars in rust/accident free condition on the cheap ( ~ $10K here in the 'States ). Can't even buy a grille for a 5 now :( , nor wings, bonnet, etc. etc.

A 5 used daily ( except in the desert ) is destined for a slow death or an irretrievable expenditure to restore it, resulting in the above mentioned reluctance to drive it at all :unsure:

My 5 has covered an average of 7k miles each year for the past five years. As Tom says best to avoid salted

road conditions,tho, not a huge issue for most of the year down here in S Devon.

I have waxoiled it regularly, indeed, i am doing this dirty job this evening ;) . Bar a multitude of stone chips underneath

particularly on the forward facing chassis gussets the car has held up well.

Its a shame imho that a lot of 5s are effectively nogo showboats,still, thats the market for you..,

cheers,

Laurence

I've got a driver and a looker, doing 5-7K on the driver annually but not in salted conditions, and only wetted if caught out. Makes more sense to use a 6 daily as the body bits are more available, as are whole cars in rust/accident free condition on the cheap ( ~ $10K here in the 'States ). Can't even buy a grille for a 5 now :( , nor wings, bonnet, etc. etc.

A 5 used daily ( except in the desert ) is destined for a slow death or an irretrievable expenditure to restore it, resulting in the above mentioned reluctance to drive it at all :unsure:

My brother is trying to live to 140yrs, with a long face (Activa, green tea, etc etc). He drives a Volvo. They may well bury him in it. Together with his long face. :lol: I'm all for enjoying what you've got and handing out some TLC to the 5 and 6 as required. :)