This sounds like a real problem to me considering the spigot on the liners is about 2" long there must be quite some wear on liner or block for any movement to be apparent. Is the liner loose in all positions ? Are all liners loose in position 4? I cant see how wear can occur unless the liner has been moving about previously, hopefully some ,more usefull advice will arrive soon! Norman

Does replacing the liners mean you have a new set of pistons and liners?

If So - Try the No 4 rocking liner in another position - If it still rocks you have a liner problem. Liners should be a hand push fit into the block.

Cheers

Peter W

PS Now wait for the wags to put in comments about how TR's 'Rock'

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT
Guest Mick RichardsChange...

Martin,

Like Peter says try the liner fit by replacing the no 4 liner in another bore spigot position, if it still fits loosely or rocks then you should be able to pick up a measureable difference when measuring the spigot in comparison against the other supplied liner spigots

If there is a noticeable and measureable difference (I'd suspect at least a thou) take the set back to your supplier and ask them for a matched set preferably with all spigots the same dimensions as the 3 liners which fit nicely in the block.

If you can measure the spigots diameters in the block seperately with internal calipers/Internal micrometers etc it should confirm that they are the same measurements , if not then there will be other fixes needed.

On the basis that the engine block has been performing well ? it will be necessary to revert to the art of Coarse TR engineering for a fix but we'll go there only if and when you can confirm the spigots block dimensions etc.

Mick Richards

I installed one of the old liners and it was a tight fit in the block. So I then checked the spigot diameter on the new liner and found it was about 2 thou smaller then the original liner. I'm going to return all four liners.

Martin

Another repro quality problem it would seem.

Is it feasible to get original liners bored over size?

I suppose then that individual pistons would not be available without liners, or if they were, they wouldn't fit correctly rebored liners. :unsure:

I wouldn't be too hard on repro quality here, Brian - Stanpart originals weren't always beyond criticism, liners and blocks alike.

50 years of corrosion on, a rebuild or three, and the past application of coarse engineering . . . . . not everything is going to fit without fettling.

But yes, I would expect 4 spigots to at least be of the same dimension . . . . not that that necessarily means they'll all fit perfectly in the block.

Cheers,

Alec

Re boring liners,

I bored mine out from 1991 to just over 2.2 and just bought pistons.

They were roughed out on a lathe....I did that...leaving the boring guy to just take his final cut. They were final bored in the block, but if I did it again I would look at final boring in the lathe and then hone......as they are made when new.

Dick.

Re boring liners,

I bored mine out from 1991 to just over 2.2 and just bought pistons.

They were roughed out on a lathe....I did that...leaving the boring guy to just take his final cut. They were final bored in the block, but if I did it again I would look at final boring in the lathe and then hone......as they are made when new.

Dick.

Dear Dick,

I just shuddered!

Final bored in the block!

I trust you took them out after and reseated them with new fig 8 gaskets.

The usual technique is to bore them on a boring table, with the boring bar attached to it.

Here is the Van Norman type.

http://www.equipflip.net/1262/VAN-NORMAN-777S-BORING-BAR.html

Here is a Southern England company that will do the job among many other.

http://www.classic-and-modern-engine-services.co.uk/whatwedo.htm

I have used them and was happy with there work, pricing and speed of turn round. Easy to find and easy parking.

They did chemical clean of the block, new cam bearings, a rear seal conversion for the 4 cyl crank, full balance, and polish crank,(it was a new crank) re-bored liners to my new piston size requirement. etc.

Cheers

Peter W

Hi Peter,

Sorry that you shuddered.

They were final bored in the block without the figure of eight gaskets in and clamped by large washers from the block face using shortened head studs .

Been in now for 20 years and 50,000 miles of thrashing.

Dick.

Guest Mick RichardsChange...

Guys...this isn't a big deal.

Any competent engineering shop will place your liners into a largish lath and bore the liners out to the diameter pertinent to the pistons size you wish to fit in the block, (obviously at the correct running dia (use the service manual dimensions given for reference or the piston supplier will give it to you). Or if not to your taste bore them out vertically on a jig borer (bit more expensive, needs more setting up).

Then hone out to finish when in the block with appropriate drill driven hone, or even with appropriate grit emmery cloth (I've used 80) wrapped around a cloth on your fist and then rotated whilst mimicing up and down movement of a hone, my last road engine has done 35,000 miles of "quite hard use" prepared in this manner with normal oil usage and excellent power.

These engines are not watches, they are 50 year old technology with huge over engineered components which even if you treat only moderately well will give excellent reliability and usage.

Mick Richards