TR4 Trim - Footwell lining

I'm currently trimming my TR4 and Roger Williamson's book refers to a 'fibreboard lining' to which the footwell side carpet is stuck before installation. This is the area to the left on the passenger side, and the right on the drivers side.

I don't remember removing these at the time of stripping the car and they don't appear in any of the supplier's catalogues.

Has anyone any experience of these boards and will a piece of appropriately sized hardboard do the job?

Geoff

Geoff,

Yes, that's how it was ex-factory.

A bit of hardboard to give a solid flat surface for the carpet

that was glued to it.

Normal hardboard should be OK as the thickness is not so

critical. The thickness of the trim to the footwell will be covered

by the draught excluder.

(as against using typical hardboard for the door trims, where the

thickness of the hardboard leads to problems with the fixing clips).

John Skinner used to import the right thickness hardboard just to

get it right for the door trims. That was about 4 years ago - don't

know if that is still the case or whether the thinner hardboard is

available in the UK.

AlanR

Geoff

Millboard ...would do ,2.3mm thick, ( pressed cardboard ) used for car trimming.

www.woolies-trim.co.uk sell it.Flexible, easy to put a bradel through, for the screw fixings when you fix it in place.

However no body is going to see it when it's covered in carpet !

The plywood will produce a little bit more of a rattle/ vibration when the screws work a bit loose.....speed humps don't you just love em !!

My standard advice to restorers... (? does it have to be authentic,not available new/ secondhand/ make do/ money no object/ no or little budget ) ......your car , your decision.

Bob

Edited by bob-menhennett

TR Shop carpets come with them already fitted. John Skinner charges extra :angry:

Stuart.

Hi Geoff,

It may pay you to coat the plain side (non carpeted), with a sealant to protect against damp and make them last longer.

Cheers

Tony

Edited by Tony Millward

All,

I used MDF about 5mm and fabricated 1 inch proud speaker housings on/in them. They are a bit more difficult to fit (must drilll rather than poke holes) but result is very solid. Sound from these two 6 inch lo depth spkrs far better than my previous rear shelf mounted ones...especially at speed.

The std bit of carpet will fit (no need to cover bottom or back of protrusion) and i have good sound without any cutting/drilling of body.

If you are gonna do same, do experiment with position of spkr to ensure your throttle foot and bonnet release arent impeded.