Gearbox/OD oil - is GL5 80/90 ok as opposed to GL4 EP80/90

Not wishing to start the gearbox/OD oil debate again I'm about to do my gerabox//OD A type and diff.

I have 5ltrs of GL5 EP80/90 will that be OK. Its just that I note that the brown bible says GL4 EP80/90 ?

Thanks

Not wishing to start the gearbox/OD oil debate again I'm about to do my gerabox//OD A type and diff.

I have 5ltrs of GL5 EP80/90 will that be OK. Its just that I note that the brown bible says GL4 EP80/90 ?

Thanks

Hi, no a GL5 oil are not ok for the gearbox becouse they are corrosive for all yellow metal parts like bushes, thrust washers, synchro rings and forks. This are the same as for the differential planet washers.

Regards,

Rien

Thanks

i put gl5 in my gbox and no problems.+ its higher spec than gl4. but then i dont believe this old wives tale about it disolving bronze.

when gl5 first came out,whenever that was maybe,could have been a problem.

but not now.if it did disolve bronze etc it would have a big warning label on it. wouldnt it.

if any one puts gl5 in there gbox and it suddenly fails.it will be sod all to do with the oil.more like your gbox is 40+ years old

richard

i put gl5 in my gbox and no problems.+ its higher spec than gl4. but then i dont believe this old wives tale about it disolving bronze.

when gl5 first came out,whenever that was maybe,could have been a problem.

but not now.if it did disolve bronze etc it would have a big warning label on it. wouldnt it.

if any one puts gl5 in there gbox and it suddenly fails.it will be sod all to do with the oil.more like your gbox is 40+ years old

richard

Go to the manufactures data sheets end yuo no, no bulshit please!!

Rien

So GL4 then. My local only has the GL 5 , do halfords do the 4 then

OK chaps , thanks will now get on the case.

Roger

hi, happy to so do, is this the Penrite 40 that Ive read about ? And the diff ?

Roger

hi, happy to so do, is this the Penrite 40 that Ive read about ? And the diff ?

How many Tr's have had Robin?

Ps

That is Rogers opinion not mine or those that do know what they are talking about

Neil

quite a few now and always put in the boggo GL4 80/90 as per brown bible....However as I had 5 ltrs of the GL5 thought I'd ask ....presumably youre for the boggo standard GL4 80/90

Ps

That is Rogers opinion not mine or those that do know what they are talking about

Hi Neil,

your way with words make you sound quite offensive.

I suggested a gearbox oil for a gearbox lubrication issue.

If some self professed expert suggested water with soap suds then so be it but they don't neccessarily KNOW what they are talking about.

It is well known that these gearboxes and engines will run on almost anything - but that shouldn't stop me from recommending the logical choice.

Roger

Ps

Hi Neil,

your way with words make you sound quite offensive.

I suggested a gearbox oil for a gearbox lubrication issue.

If some self professed expert suggested water with soap suds then so be it but they don't neccessarily KNOW what they are talking about.

It is well known that these gearboxes and engines will run on almost anything - but that shouldn't stop me from recommending the logical choice.

Roger

Roger

Now this is offensive, sorry do your homework, do you want a list of those that do know and have years of trained experience under there belt?

Don't be silly Neil.

If people want to use their experience (not in oil technology) to justify being technically correct then fine.

But the manufacturers invest fortunes to produce what is technically correct using scientific processes that can be truely justified.

As I state you can stick almost anything in these things and it will work. But, if you want to have some sort of guarantee then follow the manufaturers recommendations.

This is my opinion but apparently not worth sh*t.

Roger

Edited by RogerH

Don't be silly Niel.

If people want to use their experience (not in oil technology) to justify being technically correct then fine.

But the manufacturers invest fortunes to produce what is technically correct using scientific processes that can be truely justified.

As I state you can stick almost anything in these things and it will work. But, if you want to have some sort of guarantee then follow the manufaturers recommendations.

This is my opinion but apparently not worth sh*t.

Roger

You do your bit Roger and enjoy ;) and it is Neil ;) me I have had enough game over shut down

Confusion of fact and opinion here, methinks.

Laycock changed their minds periodically in respect of their overdrive lubricant recommendation, and in any case that could vary according to which manufacturer's gearbox the overdrive was connected. Standard Triumph, in company with other car manufacturers, did not invariably agree with Laycock, and car manufacturers could also change their minds as to their preferred lubricants.

In any case, comparing lubricants available in the 1950s 60s or 70s with those of today is difficult, we are not exactly comparing like for like.

There may exist an accepted set of parameters and test procedures for assessing the suitability, or otherwise, of a particular lubricant for the Laycock units, but I have not seen or even heard of such protocols - any results would then have to be balanced against similar testing of the gearbox unit itself, and doubtless a suitable compromise arrived at . . . .

For the moment, Pete Cox suggests Penrite Gear 40 as his preferred choice, and he is a chap with at least a little knowledge of TR transmissions, rather more than most of us perhaps - to the best of my recollection, Pete has always expressed an opinion about lubricants, and not confused opinion with indisputable fact, which seems reasonable enough to me. I also recollect his opinions on the topic evolving over the years, hardly surprising given the advances in oil technology.

Other experienced transmission engineers may have different views - fair enough, that doesn't necessarily make any of them wrong.

I may well be old-fashioned here, but I'd generally prefer to follow the recommendation of the reputable rebuilder of the engine, gearbox, differential or whatever - certainly whilst the warranty period obtains. The chap probably knows a damn sight more about his day job than I do . . . . .

Cheers,

Alec

I may well be old-fashioned here, but I'd generally prefer to follow the recommendation of the reputable rebuilder of the engine, gearbox, differential or whatever - certainly whilst the warranty period obtains. The chap probably knows a damn sight more about his day job than I do . . . . .

Cheers,

Alec

The rebuilder will know what he put in the box. I understand that some rebuilders have parts made in non OE alloys for durability. Some of these might be OK with newer oils. Alec is right IMHO. I asked my gearbox man who gave me standard Castrol EP and some additive. 12000 miles later with no problems.