Is fitting a steel hard top easy?

Had to cut about 10mm from the top edge of the Perspex screen, tapering off at the ends. Measured the screen and the Hardtop aperture at 13 points before reach for my extra sharp panel saw bought for cutting laminate flooring.

Sadly managed to put a small crack on one edge about 1/2" long but drilled the end of the crack with a 1/16th drill to stop it propagating.

Then after much winkling of the rubber seal with a Swiss army knife and reams of masking tape got the Perspex into the Hardtop but still to add the locking strip.

However it was dry enough to let me get to the trimmers this morning where he will make the sidescreens , fit the hood& tonneau and hood stick cover.

Should get it back for the weekend.

So will post some new pics next weekend

Regards

BillG @ NB

• 4 months later...

I've had my steel hardtop for years but never bothered to fit it, but as the car is currently undergoing major bodywork refurbishment and a bare metal respray I've decided to refurbish the hardtop with a view to fitting it in the New Year.

Just a couple of initial questions to those who have fitted their hardtops,

• What do you use for the headlining? I was just going to paint the interior, but on reflection think it might resonate too much if no sound deadening was fitted.
  • Is the sealing strip (602269) a specific pre formed seal, or is there a proprietary seal from a motor factors which will do the job?
  • I see that Moss don't provide the angle fixings (650195, 650194, 650193) any idea as to where these my be purchased, or, if I had dimensions I could have them made.
  • Given the problems encountered in fitting the backlight (553132) has anyone any advice of the best source of backlight, sealing strip (559766) and filler (559767) combination (Honeybourne/Moss etc)?

Regards

Paul

Hi there

I have used campervan wall panel carpeting to do the headlong and stuck it down with Wirth german made adhesive using an aerosol tin cost about£17.50 a go but onetimwas sufficient.

The material is. Quite soft and. Moulds to the shape ok but best make a paper template first. Getting it neat round the rear window was tricky but easier at the front and above thedoor aperture. I had to make all my own fittings for the alloy bits which the sidescreens close on and got the rubber seals from Woolies.

Pm me with your email address if you want photos.

Bill G @ N B

I have a fully restored steel hardtop and hope to fit it sometime in the near future. A tip advised to me was to fit the window rubber to the aperture and then cut off the excess. This is then cut into small pieces and used as a guage by placing them at intervals around the aperture.(My understanding is that the rubbers from The Roadster Factory are long enough to allow this practice.) This then clearly shows the amount needed to be trimmed from the window to allow a good fit. It was also suggested not to cut the window material as it may well crack, but rather to use a belt sander along the edge and certainly not across it.

My hardtop has been trimmed with normal headlining material and my recollections from an earlier TR life is that there were two anti-drumming straps sprung across the interior side to side. My current top does not have these and I would appreciate learned opinions as to whether my thoughts are fact or fantasy.

Regards,

John.

This is the backlight seal that you want http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/370626099514?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649 originally there was one strap that went up inside the roof from side to side, they are more often than not missing now. Headlining is best done in a foam backed type of material that will provide a bit of sound absorbency.

Stuart.

Hi,

I’m fairly new to the forum. I’ve owned a TR3A for around 16 years. Got a metal hard top for it off eBay about 8 years ago which until last month was stored in the roof of the garage as a bare shell. Last month I took it down and have sprayed and trimmed and fitted it to the car.

Had a problem with getting the window rubber from Moss and also read that people on here suggested a wider rubber so ordered from this link -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/window-rubber-boats-heavy-equipment/dp/B007T5J4SS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1355591749&sr=8-2

Hard top is now finished and on the car. I’m very happy with it. For the lining I glued a sponge material to the roof followed by cream coloured vinyl with some green piping (to match the cars interior). Having fitted quite a few screens over the years I was presently surprised how well this went. Its the first time I’ve used a tool to fit the rubber filler strip (and I would recommend you get a tool for the job – much, much easier)

I'd post some photos but not sure how to attach.

Neil

Edited by NCS_TR3A

Hi,

If you have not done the window fitting yet, remember to make the rubber "larger" than you would expect, the rubber tend to shrink with time, leaving a gap where the two rubber ends meet....In other words you need to force more rubber seal and filling strip, than you would expect to.....

Cheers,

Esben

Well having read the replies if I lived in North Berwick with those views of Bass Rock and Fidra and some great border roads close by I would not bother and I would enjoy TR motoring with wind in the hair as was intended.Perhaps an updated heater would be a better move?

Good luck ....in any event East Lothian is heaven!

Tom

Hi Tom

All the test mileage at the end of the summer was done with aero screen on the road that runs past the Bass Rock!!

I picked up the Hardtop for just £50 and it struck me that it would be the ideal jig to set up the sidescreens a notably difficult task as I was warned.

When the Spring returns I'll be taking it off again!

It is very cosy as I have the Revington type heater in the passenger footwell so it will be good with a tonneau too.

So many options for driving as I have 3 sets of wheels as well!

Regards Bill G @ NB