Front Number Plate, Location?

Okay, Okay.....I know it goes on the front!

But where and how on the front?

Some seem to have it drilled direct to the middle of the bumper where others have it mounted below.

I dont really wnat to start drilling my new stainless bumpers but would like the car to be correct. There doesnt seem to be any seperate brackets listed on the Moss (etc) websites. Ive also looked at many pictures but it seems i can find no definitve answer.

Any ideas please?

Thanks

Simon

Simon

Most 4 and 4a bumper blades have two 1/4 inch holes drilled on the lower segment of the blade. The cars I've seen that are very original had an L shaped bracket which rang along the face of the bumper for about 8 inches onto which the number plate was screwed.

A lot of ex USA cars had un drilled bumpers which were drilled various after fitting (most went out unbumpered to save damage) and then had plates or boxes attached as per the AMCO accessory etc.

A quick and neat solution is just to make a pair of L brackets in aluminium and bend to suit.

Regards Tony

Simon

I have just replaced my plates with some original 'type' plates, herewith a photo of the old plates fixing - utlising the holes pre-drilled in the front bumper.

Cheers

Phil

• 9 years later...

Picking up on this thread, the front number plate brackets I purchased (below) don't seem to work on the 4a, as the pre-drilled holes are on the front face of the blade, whereas the 'L' bracket suggests it would fit to the underside. What's the best method for attaching, flatten out the  bracket?

Many thanks

David

Triumph-TR6-TR250-TR5-Stainless-steel.jpg

45 minutes ago, qkingston said:

Picking up on this thread, the front number plate brackets I purchased (below) don't seem to work on the 4a, as the pre-drilled holes are on the front face of the blade, whereas the 'L' bracket suggests it would fit to the underside. What's the best method for attaching, flatten out the  bracket?

Many thanks

David

Triumph-TR6-TR250-TR5-Stainless-steel.jpg

Why bother with brackets? If your bumper blade is already drilled then just attach the plate direct to the bumper.

Stuart.