type A overdrive and gearbox

Hi all

Brought my first 72 tr6 pi a few months ago now with work needing to be done to it,have now got it running well and looking good,but have no overdrive, solenoid working so drained oil which was like new and refilled and ran the car in 3rd gear overdrive in and loosened off the operating valve a little oil leeked out but not much even when fully out so i think that it may be the pump knackered?

If so whats the best options i have?

Also another problem i have is after about 20min driving the clutch becomes very stiff so when i try to pull away from standstill its very hard to pull away smoothly its ether in or out!

any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

many thanks

James

Hi James,

does the rigging leaver align with its hole correctly - set it up according to the book (if you have an 'A' type O/D you may need to look in the 4/4A book).

If everything is as it shouild be then it may need to come out.

A broken taper pin is not usually time dependant - but they do break.

Try bleeding the clutch system (bleed valve at TOP of slave cylinder) and setting up the linkage correctly.

Look for any oval holes on operating levers etc or worn clevis pins.

If none of the above helps then you may be looking at GB removal.

Have you spoken to anybody at your local group - contact the leader

Best of luck

Roger

Check that the locating dowel bolts have been fitted to the bell housing, if not get a pair and slacken all the rest of then fit dowel bolts and tighten them first before the rest. If the overdrive is not building pressure it may be the pump is stuck, accessible through the large brass drain nut.

Stuart.

Hi all

Brought my first 72 tr6 pi a few months ago now with work needing to be done to it,have now got it running well and looking good,but have no overdrive, solenoid working so drained oil which was like new and refilled and ran the car in 3rd gear overdrive in and loosened off the operating valve a little oil leeked out but not much even when fully out so i think that it may be the pump knackered?

If so whats the best options i have?

Also another problem i have is after about 20min driving the clutch becomes very stiff so when i try to pull away from standstill its very hard to pull away smoothly its ether in or out!

any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

many thanks

James

as stuart says, gbox dowels .while gbox cover is off.

re overdrive.

drive car and try operating the lever on the driver side by hand.if overdrives ok, it will work instantly.

if it works engaging it by hand,the solenoid needs setting, or could be lazy need renewing.

to check pump remove plug on r/h side top of overdrive, above lever and take out the spring and ball bearing.

jack one wheel up and run car. if pump works oil will come out of this hole.

DO NOT lift the lever up further than the aligning holes,with spring and bb removed

richard

Edited by rpurchon

Thanks for everyone's help,have checked all the above and its pointing to internal overdrive or gearbox problem so will get the professionals to fix it.

as for the stiff clutch it looks like the fluid is gone bad when i bled the system,so it may have damaged the seals in the master and slave cylinders.

Thanks for everyone's help,have checked all the above and its pointing to internal overdrive or gearbox problem so will get the professionals to fix it.

as for the stiff clutch it looks like the fluid is gone bad when i bled the system,so it may have damaged the seals in the master and slave cylinders.

did any oil pump out of the removed plug.if it did try hitting the iron ring on the overdrive with a hammer.could be a stuck clutch.

richard