Reconditioned Engine Plate

This drawing is from my Bentley Shop Manual.

plate2.jpg

Has anyone actually seen a reconditioned engine identified by one of these plates? Where was the plate fitted? Have a photo?

Thanks in advance

Frank

Hi Frank ~

My TR3A is fitted with one of these plates. Engine No. TS545FR etc.

If you PM me your eMail address I'll send you a photo. of the plate.

The plate is 'brass' coloured and is fitted over the original engine number stamped on the block.

Tom.

Edited by Fireman049

My first TR3A came with an engine which had a similar plate marked 'TS665FR'. This was rivetted or screwed on the engine number plinth. As the logbook stated the engine size as 2088cc, I removed the plate to try to find the original number, but it had been ground off. The pistons and liners turned out to be 83mm and not 85mm Sportsman as I would have suspected from the 2088cc size, so I guess that engine had subsequently been rebuilt yet again but the change not registered. I don't think the number relates to the original engine number, but to a separate sequence of Factory Rebuilds and hence the removal of the original number. However, that car had so many engine changes, before and after my acquisition, that it was impossible to draw any concrete conclusions.

• 2 weeks later...

These plates were fitted to all engines reconditioned by the factory and showed the 'thou' of the reground bore size. All factory reconditioned engines were marked 'FR' like this. Similarly gearboxes were marked 'GR'.