Yet another 3a back on the road

My DIY old nail nears completion after 2 years work after work weekdays only. Learned a lot of new skills and waiting to get it's original Coventry number back. Hopefully still available.

Hi there,

Yup and I so wish it wasn't but that's the original colour but should have had black interior but tooooo much black, so I went for the Tan. She is called Guiness on account of the white hood.

I can see why there aren't too many black cars around.

Black is an absolute nightmare to keep dust free, suppose I'll just have to drive a bit quicker than usual. Tee hee.

I had hoped to introduce her to her UK cousins at the IWE but depends a bit on DVLA and work.

When I bought the car it was more or less complete but not running after a 25 year old rebuild and should have taken only weeks to recommision but unfortunately the winter before last, the expensive US paint job micro blistered on every panel which meant a complete strip back to bare metal. I spent the next 2 months carefully stripping down refurbishing, repainting generally wiping back the tears as I removed the lustrous paint work, it's a big ask to strip a whole car of paint.

I have completed every last nut and bolt myself and only got a painter to paint and polish. I am quite pleased with the finish. Everything else I did myself with the stalwort advice from Stuart and others.

Edited by Rodbr

My Bentley is black because they all were after the war that no one wanted to appear to have profited from, but it's a real pain to keep shiny and every flaw in the paint shows. However it's a lovely colour and I'm sure your TR looks superb.

It's wonderful to see all these sidescreen cars back on the road, I do hope there are lots at Malvern because they are a wonderfully characterful car and sort of a link between the old Bentleys, Lagondas and Vauxhalls that no one can afford now and the modern cissy stuff if you know what I mean. :rolleyes:

Well don Rob!

Edited by Ashley James

Looks much more professional than 'DIY' as you describe it, lovely under bonnet finish, hope you get to Malvern.

Hi my InTRepid chums,

Many thanks for all the kind comments, The sense of achievement when I finally fired her up again after 30 some years was intense! There is nothing like the sound of your own TR as you listen to that somewhat distinctive sound. Particularly so, when you have plummed the depths of an aging memory for the gems of wisdom passed from contemporary masters over a pint of my favourate foaming ale "Old Jocks Trap"

I confess to a warm glow spreading in my trousers as I gaxed in amazement and surprise at my efforts and success as she sat there idling around 900rpm. Waxing lerical about the trips taken and girlfriends past, Oh those heady days of youth when I last drove my first TRs'. Oh what fun we had, and joys to come............................................It was then that I realised that she had reverted to type and Pi**ed hot coolant down my leg from the thermostat housing.

Hi Mike,

I presume you mean the hardwood ones at the top of "b" post. To be honest I haven't had time to look what with getting the Black beast fettled and running for the first time in 30 years.

I know I have a pair somewhere, sorry will try the next time I am home.

Hi Stan,

Sorry but you will have to remind me of the concept of sun as we do not do that in Scotland. Drp me your email address via PM and I'll send a couple.

rgds

Rod

• 4 weeks later...

Nice looking rear end as they they say. Good to hear that you are leak free too, can be a problem in later life. I'm still dribbling ....... oil but the waterworks seem secure on 1104 DZ and run fine without fan but needed in towns.

Aiming to pick up the car with it's newly cover sidescreens and hood , all in blue mohair on Friday afternoon. Will get the tonneau and hoodstick cover early next week.

Lined the inside of the Hardtop with lightweight campervan grey carpeting. Still to winkle in the locking strip into the rear window seal. Souls be able to post some new pics over the weekend

Hope the DVLA don't muck you about , the local office fixed me up in just 2 days so I will be sorry to see them lose their jobs when they close in a year.

Will you make it to Biggar??

Kind regards

Bill G @ NB

Another piccy but the painter says he still has to put final polish and touch up any small nicks that I caught when fitting up!

Quite pleasedn with the look.

Edited by Rodbr