Simply after attempting most of this afternoon to fit a stainless exhaust from a well known supplier It doesnt FIT it appears the centre front pipe is too long .No can`t cut it shorter as the bends are needed.Choices find one that fits /send this one back or cut section out of pipe and reweld.As usual all comments gratefully received Keith

Frustrating isnt it I have been trying to fit a stainless system on and off for two weeks, sending for and returning parts which either do not fit or incorrect in other ways.

Mine is also from a well known supplier. Why is it so difficult to replicate the original system? I purchased a comprehensive fitting kit of which only two nuts and bolts

are usable, the remainder goes in the spare box simply because they do not fit my car which is 1962 and within the first 4000. The bracket which mounts the front

pipe to the gearbox mounting is nowhere near the ring clamp on the pipe so I may have to manufacture a bracket. As for the centre pipe, with a lot of jiggling and scuffed knuckles I managed to push it too far and had to pull it back for the silencer to clear the chassis. Thankfully I have the steel system I fitted 15 years ago and it might go back on. I have contacted the supplier but all I got was. Oh well.

Like you Keith, does anyone have similar and overcome the problems. Vic.

PS the longitudinal welds on the front silencer are on the underside whereas the same weld on the rear silencer is on the top if that makes sense. I tried with them both on top but the system would not fit at all.

Hi,

Don't mention it. My good buddy JC Rigaut just installed the Triumphtune Moss exhaust manifold on Lady Anne. Took him two full days of labour. He had to cut, reshape and reweld almost every bit of it.

First Joan of Arc, now this ....

OK, it's pick on the Brits week again ... :angry::angry:

Badfrog

I have just fitted a standard stainless system (Single pipe) from TR Shop and it went straight on out of the box and the larger of the two silencers is now far enough back on these to not hit the chassis like they used to. Agreed with the bracket on the gearbox mounting though but with a bit of ingenuity I got over that OK.

Stuart.

Edited by stuart

I fitted a SS Phoenix sports manifold, mid section and single rear box and it went on an absolute treat - sounds even better!!

I also fitted Mikalor clamps, have doubled up the rear flexible fixing strap (and I carry two spares) and exhaust wrapped the manifold.

Wonderfully made exhasut system and at the price I'd say good value too.

Got the system on today but with the supplied gearbox bracket pulls the pipe too far to the drivers side of chassis and therfor where the middle pipe passes through the cruciform it is too close and rattles. Back to the drawing board and going to fit the original bracket which allowed the pipe to sit more central on the original steel system. The best part is that the silencer no longer hits the chassis like yours did Keith. I got my system from a supplier in Lincolnshire. Happy days.

TR Enterprises systems fit straight on. The only modification occurs in Wales at night when various wheels lift off the ground, but even then it's just en route adjustment.

Well tried everything I have come to the conclusion that the system is wrong, maybe out of shape, dont know, but it is coming off and the steel system going back on. That fitted. Anyone want a second hand rarely used middle and rear silencer for a 1962 TR4? That was a costly experience.

It has been interesting and helpfull following the comments. Vic

Keith I have my head in the sand. I had the car on the ramps to remove the exhaust and needed a spanner. I pulled myself up by holding the top of the rear near side wing ( I am 6ft 6in a long way to get up) and as I pulled the wing down that familiar sound like the exhaust rattle sounded. Obviously not the exhaust so left it on and investigated further to find the shock absorber bolt loose. I will not shame myself any further the car has never been so rattle free. Thanks to everyone. I have only just started using the forum and already found it useful.

Just to clarify why the exhaust needed changing was that I had been repairing the steel one which had a leak on the front joint by the gearbox. Hmmm theoriginal bracket may have been wrong all the time.