Hi All,

As I've just had another birthday I decided to put my cash presents toward a replacement carpet set for my TR4a. That is when the fun starts .No one can, or will tell me what quality of carpet was fitted as standard when the car was made, were they tufted,were they wool? Anyone out there who can shed some light on this subject, together with any advice as to where to, or not, purchase them from would be appreciated.

Cheers

Phil

Hi All,

As I've just had another birthday I decided to put my cash presents toward a replacement carpet set for my TR4a. That is when the fun starts .No one can, or will tell me what quality of carpet was fitted as standard when the car was made, were they tufted,were they wool? Anyone out there who can shed some light on this subject, together with any advice as to where to, or not, purchase them from would be appreciated.

Cheers

Phil

Hi Phil. My first TR was a 1967 TR4A. BRG with a black interior. I am fairly sure that the carpet was nylon loop rather than a cut pile.

Cheers

Hi Phil

Just fitting some black replacement carpets to my 4A at the moment. I visited the TR Shop to look at their different offerings accompanied by SWMBO who is expert in all things fabric ( and posing in front of TRs ). We had no hesitation in buying their wool cut pile which looks much superior to the nylon tufted product. Also bought their under felt. Total cost was around £300 I think so not cheap. ( see their latest online brochure ).

I have no idea what the original carpet would have been but I doubt it was wool pile. Time will tell if we got it right, but first impressions are of a good fit and even appearance.

Good hunting

Rod

Phil,

My car, a '63 TR4, still had the original carpet, or what was left, when I bought it. This was Rayon loop that had originally been charcoal grey apparently but had faded to a very fetching tannish yellow brown, Rayon is very susceptible to fast fading under sunlight so I'm now told. Not sure if Rayon continued to be fitted to the 4A but the only place that seems to supply a Rayon option is the Roadster Factory in the States. In the end I replaced my carpet with wool also from The Roadster Factory as they were the only people who could, or would, supply me a carpet kit in charcoal grey. I was told by The Roadster factory that Rayon can fade markedly in only 3 years and having seen what sunlight does to Rayon and unless you are looking to fit a specific material for concours reasons, I think wool is a better option, most definitely so under harsh sunlight, although this might not actually be an issue in the UK mind you ........

Oh and the wool feels better too.

Hope that helps.

Tony

FWIW an instant check on the quality of carpets is to fold a piece back on itself with the pile outwards. If you can plainly see the backing through the pile at a 90 degree fold then it will look **** when folded over the parcel shelf edge or over the gearbox tunnel/prop tunnel.

Stuart.