bonnet latch assembly

Thanks Stuart. That's a good shot but I was wondering how the spring was oriented. problem is I'm sitting here with a pile of parts. :(

Hi Stuart, after looking through your pictures I've realised the assembly on my 3A appears to be missing a piece. The "L-shaped" part of the finger latch has at some point in the distant past, come adrift. And it currently looks more like this: (please excuse the hasty attempt at photoshopping!!)

Bonnetlatch.jpg

The problem is I can't seem to find a supplier for the latch alone - and it appears I have to purchase the whole unit including the base plate and stay rod (which is a tad unnecessary!). Would you happen to know where I could lay my hands on a new (or indeed, secondhand) latch by any chance? Many thanks.

Cheers, Deggers

Edited by Deggers

Common enough problem. Before repro parts became available just about every car had the lifting part of the safety latch broken off. The material was weak and it was a poor design, with only the side flanges attaching the lifter to the latch.

The pivot bolt for the bonnet stay was prone to rattling - fixed with rubber tap washer either side.

Viv.

Sorry cant help with finding just the latch, as Viv says they are pretty much always broken.

Stuart.

Hi Stuart, after looking through your pictures I've realised that the assembly on my 3A appears to be missing a piece. The "L-shaped" part of the finger latch has at some point in the distant past, come adrift. And it currently looks more like this: (please excuse the hasty attempt at photoshop!!)

Bonnetlatch.jpg

The problem is I can't seem to find a supplier for the latch alone - and it appears I have to purchase the whole unit including the base plate and stay rod (which is a tad unnecessary!). Would you happen to know where I could lay my hands on a new (or indeed, secondhand) latch by any chance? Many thanks.

Cheers, Deggers

If no-one comes up with one in the next couple of weeks (I cannot get to my spares supply until then) I may still have one attached to a base plate I had to replace recently because it snapped at the point where the stay rod bolt passes through the plate. I had to buy a new plate and latch complete with new stay rod! I know I saved the old stay rod but if I also kept the broken plate and unbroken latch I will PM you and it's yours.

Miles

So far I have seen the bracket for the latch painted body color, black and now plated in the pics from Stuart. Which one is correct and was the bonnet support rod always black or was that body color also ?

Stan

Stan: My friend Brian and I have done a great deal of research on this and related issues. We understand that there could have been exceptions and variations. However, we are fairly confident that this assembly was already attached to the bonnet before it entered the paint line at Mulliners and thus was sprayed body color. Same goes for the boot latch assembly and prop rod.

Stan: My friend Brian and I have done a great deal of research on this and related issues. We understand that there could have been exceptions and variations. However, we are fairly confident that this assembly was already attached to the bonnet before it entered the paint line at Mulliners and thus was sprayed body color. Same goes for the boot latch assembly and prop rod.

That all sounds good to me Frank, thanks for the confirmation.

Stan

• 2 weeks later...