Drive shaft nipples

Hello all,

because of the rubbish weather I decided to service the TR and have been going around the various grease nipples.

I have spotted two which are not shown in the brown book, these are located on the drive shafts next to the inboard UJ's, I'm guessing these are for lubricating the drive shaft splines, but I'm reluctant to grease these until I know for sure. Any indication would be appreciated?.

Also is it possilbe/practical to grease the ouboard UJ's , or do I need to remove the drive shafts to do this ?.

Nick

Hi Nick,

Yes they are to grease the splines but becarefull when you give to much grease in here the the shaft act like a pump when the car came lower and press the end cap out the inner joint.

I grease the outer UJ itrue a little hole in the trailing arm and a long needle tool.

Cheers,

Rien

Hi Rien,

OK I will take care not to over grease the two nipples and limit this to two strokes of the grease gun.

Do all TR6's have the small hole, or did you drill it yourself and what is a long needle tool ?

Nick

Hi Nick,

No the hole are not original, I drill it, (4mm) are enough if you have carefully measured ;)

The needle I use came from Midlock, it is grease nipple on one side and a small tube I think 3mm diam and about 10cm long and a needle shape on the other side that can push in the ball valve of the UJ nipple.

Regards,

Rien

Hi Nick,

the outer UJ's need to be greased occassionally.

It is normal to take the drive shaft off the car. This also allows the splines to be taken apart, cleaned and regreased.

A hole can be drilled into the trailing arm to allow access for the grease gun but the jury is still out on the best place for the hole - stress raiser, fatigue - take your pick.

Roger

Hi Nick,

I have tell in another topic that when u use the 3520997-2 from the Volvo you get the best UJ available without a nipple, these are filled for live. But yes for the slidings its the best to take them from the car, but I don't think it is the correct way to do from the trailing arm side, the studs don't like it to torque twice a year.

Cheers,

Rien