Coming back from a great weekend away the odometer stopped working, the speedo still indicates the speed and in a lot less 'shaky' than before. The trip meter also does not turn when driving but resets when turning the twister on the little cable. Any ideas, advice appreciated.

Richard,

I had identical symtoms that you describe very recently myself. One moment everything was working - albeit with some speedo needle shake, then the odo & trip stopped working and the speedo needle became the steadiest I had ever seen.

The odo did cut in again a couple of times before I investigated and when it did the speedo needle began to shake again - clearly a tight mechanism somewhere. I had to disconnect the drive in the end as the odo caused far too much speedo needle shake and it got very noisy.

There is a blue drive wheel on the end of the stack of odo number wheels - I cleaned everything in this area and used a minute amount of light PTFE lube on the moving parts. Then I ran it up on a drill out of the car for a while and watched the odo - its made a huge difference to the noise it was making and the wheels are no longer slipping - if you do this try to run it on a drill so that the odo clocks-up some big numbers where at least 2 wheels at a time click over - this seems to be when they can get stuck.

cheers, bob

Edited by OldBob

I had the same problem a couple of years ago. After hours of fiddling and head scratching I decided to remove the unit and sent it off to be serviced/recalibrated and fitted a new cable when i put it back. No problems since (....touch wood!)

Richard,

I had identical symtoms that you describe very recently myself. One moment everything was working - albeit with some speedo needle shake, then the odo & trip stopped working and the speedo needle became the steadiest I had ever seen.

The odo did cut in again a couple of times before I investigated and when it did the speedo needle began to shake again - clearly a tight mechanism somewhere. I had to disconnect the drive in the end as the odo caused far too much speedo needle shake and it got very noisy.

There is a blue drive wheel on the end of the stack of odo number wheels - I cleaned everything in this area and used a minute amount of light PTFE lube on the moving parts. Then I ran it up on a drill out of the car for a while and watched the odo - its made a huge difference to the noise it was making and the wheels are no longer slipping - if you do this try to run it on a drill so that the odo clocks-up some big numbers where at least 2 wheels at a time click over - this seems to be when they can get stuck.

cheers, bob

Didn't know they had Oddometers in LeMans Jags! :blink:

Didn't know they had Oddometers in LeMans Jags! :blink:

They do measure distance covered for the 24 hrs.That determines the winner.

Stuart.